• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May/June Moths (2 Viewers)

I've been puzzling over this for a little bit as I think I might have seen the odd thing like this myself and written it off as a Dark Arches. I followed Andy's suggestion of Nutmeg to Google and thought I found a decent match, only to find the title says something different?

https://www.ecosia.org/images?q=nutmeg+moth#id=_

Second row. Lefthand most picture.

Looks good to me too. In particular the little black circumflex marks on the trailing edge of the forewing look right in shape and position, which they don't on normal Nutmeg - and Large Nutmeg is a Plate 57 moth I was considering.

Still open to argument but that goes in at least in pencil. Cheers mate. (Thanks to Andy too for the contribution!)

I have corrections, too: both the recent Emeralds were actually Light Emerald, given away by the red dots at the wingtips. Oops. Lucky I looked at them again: I knew something was bothering me about them. Light Emerald of course is the unrelated one on a different plate in the guide.

John

Just went to go out of the patio door to get the trap out ready for later and noticed a Peppered Moth on the dining room wall. Another garden tick. Must have sneaked in last night.
A beautiful moth looked at in detail through a lens.

Last three days:-
27th May - 65 moths & 23 species - Straw Dot, Common Wainscot, Homoesoma sinuella & Chrysoteuchia culmella new for year.
28th May - 27 moths & 11 species - Yellow-barred Brindle, Elephant Hawkmoth & Celypha striana with Vapourer by day new for year.
29th May - 59 moths & 29 species - Lychnis, Peppered Moth (dark speckly intermediate), Buff Ermine & Mottled Rustic.
30th May - by day - 4 Red-belted Clearwing to CUL lure.

Courtesy of a friend - Alabonia geoffrella, Grass Rivulet & Scrobipalpa acumintella.

Pics Red-belted Clearwing x 2, Alabonia geoffrella, Elephant Hawkmoth & (intermediate) Peppered Moth.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 01 Red-belted Clearwing.JPG
    01 Red-belted Clearwing.JPG
    816.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 02 Red-belted Clearwing.jpg
    02 Red-belted Clearwing.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 03 Alabonia geoffrella.jpg
    03 Alabonia geoffrella.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 04 Elephant Hawkmoth.JPG
    04 Elephant Hawkmoth.JPG
    482.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 05 Peppered Moth.JPG
    05 Peppered Moth.JPG
    819 KB · Views: 19
A few more pics - Lychnis, Common Wainscot, Grass Rivulet, Chrysoteuchia culmella & Mottled Rustic.

Attachments

• 06 Lychnis.jpg
    06 Lychnis.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 07 Common Wainscot.JPG
    07 Common Wainscot.JPG
    412.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 08 Grass Rivulet.JPG
    08 Grass Rivulet.JPG
    903.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 09 Chrysoteuchia culmella.JPG
    09 Chrysoteuchia culmella.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 10 Mottled Rustic.JPG
    10 Mottled Rustic.JPG
    631.1 KB · Views: 22
Cold here again last night with a stiff breeze, four moths.

Two Heart and Dart and a Bright-line Brown-eye but one was my second ever Treble-lines, the last time I had that was ten years ago.

Ten additions to the nascent and ever growing garden moth list this morning, of the 22 species present. 38 individuals, Common Marbled Carpet the biggest contributor with 6, Peppered, Heart & Dart and Pale Tussock with three each.

A selection of the highlights attached

Peach Blossom
Buff Ermines
Pebble Hook-tip
Iron Prominent
Swallow Prominent

Attachments

• IMG_5289.JPG
    IMG_5289.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5306.JPG
    IMG_5306.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5388.JPG
    IMG_5388.JPG
    179.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5412.JPG
    IMG_5412.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5420.JPG
    IMG_5420.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 19
I would say Large Nutmeg but not a moth that I know well.

All the best

Thank you. I'll go with that then. :t:

This morning's trap included 31 Heart and Darts out of a total of 47 moths of 15 species. Mottled Rustic was a tick (for once I got a moth that matched the book exactly, in a plastic pot that I could hold right next to the illustration) and it was the turn of Poplar Hawk-moth to loom over the other trap inhabitants.

James - ooh that Peach Blossom is nice!

John

Not quite so cold last night so a few more today. 76 moths and 23 species.
New for year were Pine Hawk-moth, Vines Rustic and Dark Arches.

Some pics from recent catches
Nematopogon metaxella
Small Magpie
Grey Carpet
Lime Hawk-moth
Pine Hawk-moth

Attachments

• P1210408.JPG
    P1210408.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P1210421.JPG
    P1210421.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 11
  • P1210519.JPG
    P1210519.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 19
  • P1210539.JPG
    P1210539.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 14
  • P1210570-002.JPG
    P1210570-002.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 27
Last night wasn't too bad for moths.
I had 83 moths of 30 species (plus 2 micros that would need gen det to get a name on).
New for garden were Large Yellow Underwing, Green Oak Tortrix, Beautiful Hook-tip, Light Arches and Common Swift. Yellow Shell was new for the year.
6 Small Elephant and 1 Lime Hawk-moths in the big and pretty department. 21 Heart & Darts the top scorer numerically.

Tonight was poor. Clear sky, bigger moon and lower temp. So little happening I stopped at 11:45. 18 moths of 12 species. Straw Dot and White-point new for garden list. H&D down to 4 only.

55 moths of 14 species this morning: 36 of them Heart and Darts. The only other multiples were 5 Treble Lines and 2 each of Small Magpie and Poplar Hawk-moth (one of the last was very very worn indeed.)

Other than that mixture as before. No May Bugs, how did they know the month was turning?

John

Six moths of four species, Freyer's Pug and SH Character were new for the year.

Here's the Pug.

Attachments

• P6010459.jpg
    P6010459.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 16
Decided to trap out front last night, so only till about 01:00 as I didn't want to leave the trap unattended and accessible from the street. Predictably lower numbers than recently (as well as time limitation the habitat is tamer out front), with 24 of 15 species identified, and only 4 new species, but as one of those was Small Elephant Hawk-moth I was not disappointed, particularly as a regular Elephant also attended. Brown Silver-line (5) and Green Carpet (4) were the most numerous and the other additions were Satin Wave (thanks Andy, for the ID), Blood Vein & Middle-barred Minor (pic attached).

Attachments

• IMG_5804.JPG
    IMG_5804.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5744.JPG
    IMG_5744.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5676.JPG
    IMG_5676.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 23
My usual catch of about 20 moths of about 12 species...…

NFY were Buff Ermine (June 11th was my previous earliest record for the garden) and Nutmeg.

Steve

A Light Brocade was best of single digits again last night. Will upload a shot of my trap later and seek any thoughts on why I'm getting such low numbers.

Attachments

• Moth trap.jpg
    Moth trap.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Light Brocade.jpg
    Light Brocade.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
A Light Brocade was best of single digits again last night. Will upload a shot of my trap later and seek any thoughts on why I'm getting such low numbers.

How widely visible is your light, are you near any other light sources?

Very bad here too, last night, all I got was 3 Brimstone, 1 Riband Wave and a Marbled Minor agg, the nights re still pretty cool here.

Last edited:

Looking at the photo of your trap it looks to me (it may be the camera angle) as if you have the egg boxes piled almost up to the entrance slit. This may be causing/allowing a high proportion of moths to bounce or climb out.

I leave the centre of my trap clear to the bottom of the trap, giving a vertical distance of four inches (100mm) for the moths to fly back up to hit the one inch (25mm) slit and escape after they have bonged off the actinic light and dropped in. I've no means of knowing how many make it while I snore upstairs but plenty don't. If they want to get away from the light all they have to do is crawl sideways under the piled egg boxes.

Cheers

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back