Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RFI Hungary, mainly Budapest

Old Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 12:56   #1
Marcus Conway - ebirder

RFI Hungary, mainly Budapest

Please can I have some information on top birding spots in and around Budapest where I may well now be spending Christmas and New year

I would like to see woodpeckers, owls, hawfinch, interesting wildfowl and raptors. I have heard there maybe Wallcreeper and Alpine Accentor within striking distanceby car. Was it the Danube Bends?? Also any top tips would be very much appreciated.

I will have one of the camera's too so any good feeding stations in the parks could be handy!

Many thanks

BF Supporter 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 13:08   #2
bitterntwisted
Graham Howard Shortt

Marcus,

Contact Gerard Gorman via Probirder.net - http://www.probirder.com/ - PM your email address and I'll send you my correspondence with him. He was excellent value for a day's birding in August, and I would recommend a guide if only to save you a great deal of hassle trying to find places. The good places are poorly signposted and I was very grateful for his guiding on day 1, without which I would never have found the locations, let alone the species. I used birdingpal to find someone for my 2nd day, and had another great day out. Days 3 and 4 I did my own searching in the south of Hungary, well out of striking distance from Budapest, and had a great time although a bit more local knowledge would have got me some good birds I missed.

That said, you may want to consider exploring away from Budapest - the rest of Hungary is much cheaper - you can stay a week in Baja for the price of similar accommodation for one night in Budapest.

Also, remember that it will be very, very, very cold and likely covered in deep snow everywhere.

Graham

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 13:42   #3
Marcus Conway - ebirder

Thanks Graham. The Good Doctor has already booked the accomodation centrally so that cannot be altered now.

Old Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 16:20   #4
John Cantelo

I found it easy to see Black Woodpecker & Hawfiches in the Buda Hill above the west bank of the Danube in the centre of the city. Obudai & Margaret Islands have Syrian, G-spot, M-spot, etc. Try Gorman's 'Birding n Eastern Europe' for details,

John

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Tuesday 2nd December 2008, 16:22   #5
Marcus Conway - ebirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
I found it easy to see Black Woodpecker & Hawfiches in the Buda Hill above the west bank of the Danube in the centre of the city. Obudai & Margaret Islands have Syrian, G-spot, M-spot, etc. Try Gorman's 'Birding n Eastern Europe' for details,

John
Will do thanks John

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: