• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just back from Peru w/Kolibri Expeditions (1 Viewer)

Phaethon

Just returned from a great trip to Peru. Didn't do the east slope (with megadiversity) but did do Amazonas at Los Amigos biological station, Abra Malaga, Tumbes, Chaparri Lodge, Santa Eulalia, Cusco to Machu Picchu and Agua Calientes.

540+ species including 34 +/- antbirds. Had Point-tailed Palmcreeper at Los Amigos, fleeting look at Royal Cinclodes (will not count in my book but glad they are still at Abra Malaga (also had an adult Andean Condor there too).

Despite rumors of their demise we had 20+ Humboldt Penguins at Pucusana just an hour south of Lima as well as Seaside Cinclodes, Peruvian Thick-knee, and Slender-billed Finch at Canaette.

Kolibri was an excellent company with great guides in each location that really knew their birds and the best places to find them.

BA

Sounds like a great trip. Were you travelling with Gunnar?

Abra Malaga is on my list of places to visit on my next trip to Peru (I'm there about once a year on average becuase my wife is Peruvian). Is there much Polylepis left there? Did you see Ash-Breasted Tit-Tyrant?

yes I traveled in Tumbes with Gunnar and with his other guides at Cusco and Puerto Maldonado.

Ash-breasted Tit-tyrant was there in one of the three large groves of Polylepsis in the Royal Cinclodes preserve at Alba Malaga.

BA

Kolibri has loads of trips going this fall in Peru, check the Kolibri Expeditions website or Gunnar Engbloms' Facebook page.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back