• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (8 Viewers)

As April comes to an end, the patch year list stands at 103, of which 97 species were recorded during the last month - underlining the fact that April is the best month in terms of variety.

Cuckoo at Tapenhall this morning.
Grey Partridge near Chatley.
Swifts now more widespread - seen over Hawford, Egg Lane, Tapenhall, Chatley, Coney Meadow and many around Westwood.
Large numbers of Swallows and Sand Martins around Hawford.
House Martin Coney Meadow.
Raven over Ladywood today and Droitwich Woods yesterday - normally not notable but they are scarce at the moment and seem to have abandoned their normal nest at High Park.
Lesser Whitethroat at Chatley today and one in Droitwich Woods yesterday.
Willow Warbler at Linacre Bridge plus one yesterday at Mildenham and one at Harford Hill.
Roe Deer this morning near Mayhouse Cottages and great views of a Weasel yesterday at Porter's Mill.

I had a large soaring accipiter quite high and far away to the east when I was at Camp Lane Pits around lunchtime on Sunday that I thought looked very Goshawk like, but even through the scope it was too far away for a positive ID, and had nothing near it for size comparison. After watching it for a minute or so it folded its wings and went into a very long and shallow but very fast descent to the N/NE and was lost to sight. Interesting though given your sighting today - I'll never know!

Last edited:
I had a large soaring accipiter quite high and far away to the east when I was at Camp Lane Pits around lunchtime on Sunday that I thought looked very Goshawk like, but even through the scope it was too far away for a positive ID, and had nothing near it for size comparison. After watching it for a minute or so it folded its wings and went into a very long and shallow but very fast descent to the N/NE and was lost to sight. Interesting though given your sighting today - I'll never know!

It's the second time I've seen a Goshawk in that area this year - only about 4km from Grimley as the bird flies!

Further news from today:

Cuckoo singing and showing well around Coney Meadow this morning and another at Tapenhall first thing.
Drake Mandarin on Tapenhall pool again plus Coot.
Willow Warbler singing in Knight's Grove.
Lesser Whitethroats singing at Copcut Lane and Ladywood.
Swallows, 2 House Martins and a Sand Martin over Tapenhall pool.
A Green Woodpeckers was drumming from a tree near Coney Meadow this morning - much softer sounding than Great Spot and rarely heard.
3 Swifts over Coney Meadow plus more over towards Westwood.
Male Tawny Owl calling from Salwarpe churchyard this evening.
Water Rail singing from the reedbed.

Coal Tit, Nuthatch, Goldcrest, Yellowhammers, Linnets, Reeds, Sedges, Whitethroats, Mistle Thrushes, Jays, Reed Buntings, Buzzards, Sparrowhawk and Kestrels.

A pair of Lapwings near Tapenhall this morning.
Little Owl in usual tree at Linacres paddocks.
Tufted drake at Mildenham Mill.
One Cormorant over.
Kingfisher and Grey Wagtails at Porter's Mill.

Drake Gadwall and Cuckoo at Tapenhall pool yesterday. Two drake Gadwall at Coney Meadow yesterday.

Coney Meadow: Grasshopper Warbler singing along the canal 50 yards from picnic bench.

Greylag over. All the usual warblers including Lesser Whitethroat.

Cuckoos between Salwarpe and Ladywood and near Mildenham this morning.
Drake Mandarin at Tapenhall farm perched on a bale of straw near the farmhouse. Tufted and Gadwall drakes on the pool.
4+ Lapwings over Tapenhall - Mildenham.
Very tatty Raven over Porter's Mill.

Cuckoos this morning: Male and Female near Ladywood plus males at Coney/Salwarpe, Porter's Mill and Tapenhall- Mildenham.

4 Lapwings between Tapenhall and Chatley.
A few House Martins and Swallows plus the regular Warblers.

One of the Buzzards appears to have been sprayed on its breast and underwings with a pink dye - very curious!

I thought I heard a Nightingale sing briefly in Coney Meadow this morning - but I think it was just a Blackcap doing a very good impression of one. However, I will check it out again this evening.

It's a bright 'synthetic' pink colour. I've seen the bird twice now and blood tends to darken when exposed to air.

The bird also has central tail feather(s) missing - my thoughts are that it may have been taken into care / rehabilitated.

Last edited:
A Grasshopper Warbler started singing at 9pm this evening in Coney.

32 Sand Martins roosted.

A few Swallows and 3 Swifts.

Cuckoo performing well.

1 Gadwall over.

3 Ravens seen this morning - 1 over Salwarpe and 2 over Porter's Mill.

A Grasshopper Warbler singing at Coney Meadow first thing plus Cuckoo and Lesser Whitethroat.

Male and female Cuckoos at Tapenhall plus Coot, Gadwall and Tufted. Lapwing displaying in nearby fields.

2 Lesser Whitethroats at Mildenham and 2 at Hawford.

Willow Warbler still on territory at Linacre bridge plus another singing along Egg Lane.

Sand Martin, House Martin and Swallows at Hawford.

Reed, Sedge and Common Whitethroats throughout in suitable habitats. Treecreeper and Coal Tit.

A Cuckoo was singing from Chawson Lane allotments early evening.

A Grasshopper Warbler sang briefly just before 9pm.

A Hobby sat in a tree on High Park late evening calling and then flew off.

Male Kestrel early evening.

27 Sand Martins roosted, a few Swallows over and 7 or 8 Swifts milling around.

2 Water Rails singing from the reedbed.

Noctule bat flying around at dusk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back