• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra 8x32 ED MC 8x32 vs Sightron BS 8x32 (1 Viewer)

black crow

Gosh now that I have 10x Meopro I think I'd like something similar in 8x. I like the idea of something a little lighter than the Meopro however but similar optically which the Zeiss is.

However I own the Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 and they are pretty nice. Have any here compared the Terra and Blue Sky optically? If they are very similar than there is no point and I'll just use the Blue Sky.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the Sightron BS 8x32 and the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. The binoculars are really not in the same class price wise or performance wise. The Zeiss is IMO considerably superior optically. Watch the eye cups on the Zeiss if you adjust your eye cups a lot though they can be hard to move.

BC
I have changed the thread heading for you.
Go to the other thread you started on this subject in the Zeiss sub-form for my comments about my experiences with the Conquest and the Meopta.

Dennis is right to suggest there have been some Conquest eyecups that have been very stiff to move to the different positions but I have handled dozens and never come across any like this. If you do, contact Zeiss for replacements and ask them to check the new ones for you.

Lee

Guys I'm totally embarrassed. I goofed about which Zeiss I was wanting to compare. It's the Zeiss Terra 8x32 ED MC

Can we start again lol?

And I changed your text from Conquest to Terra.

Terra is a nice bino and I use mine plenty and take it on holidays but it ain't no Conquest/Meopta/Kowa.

Lee

That's what I wanted to know. Maybe then I'll get the Metopa in 8x. I want something that's going to be better than my Sightrons. Unless anyone else has a good suggestion for around $500 or less. My friend is not to hot on her Kowa Genesis due eyeglass issues so I just asked her to consider selling them to me. That would be cool She got them on a sale and she's had them awhile. Maybe I could pry them away from her for around my price point.

That's what I wanted to know. Maybe then I'll get the Metopa in 8x. I want something that's going to be better than my Sightrons. Unless anyone else has a good suggestion for around $500 or less. My friend is not to hot on her Kowa Genesis due eyeglass issues so I just asked her to consider selling them to me. That would be cool She got them on a sale and she's had them awhile. Maybe I could pry them away from her for around my price point.

An excellent idea. To seal the deal I recommend moonlight and a bottle of Chablis, not shots of Jack's. :t:

Lee

The Terra is not much better than the Blue Sky at all, and certainly not worth the increase in price. Until you get to the Nikon 8x30 Monarch 7, there is nothing that substantially beats the Blue Sky. The M7 on the other hand is IMO better overall, as it's increased price would suggest. The M7 is wider, brighter, sharper, is lighter in weight, and has a focus wheel that is smoother in turning effort. IMO the M7's increase in price is worth it as compared to a Terra or Blue Sky. Just be aware that the M7's ER is rather short - too short for either of us to use with eyeglasses or sunglasses.

It is possible that the new version of the Leupold Pro Guide is as good as the M7, and most likely will be better than the Blue Sky. However, I think it is unlikely that it will be worth the price over the M7.

The Cabela's/Meopta Meostar is a bit better than the M7, but substantially more expensive, and very noticeably heavier in weight. Focus wheel on ours requires much more torque to turn than does our M7. I really like the Meostar, but to be honest, I would sell it before I would sell the M7.

Since you want something lighter in weight than the Meopro, I would very much recommend the Nikon M7 which only weighs around 15 ounces. The Zeiss Conquest HD would be better of course, but would be very similar in weight to the Meopro.

PhilR thank you. That's exactly what I needed to know. Moving on now. I'm going to stick with the Sightrons unless I can trade for the Kowa's or buy another Meopro. The Sightrons really are pretty decent for an old guy with fading eyesight.

Spent the afternoon looking at and comparing 7 set of binoculars. The Kowa Genesis are very nice indeed except they have a rather small fov for an 8x. I thought the Meopro came very close to being as nice a view although I was comparing a 10x to an 8x. The Swarovski 8x50B won the day by a pretty narrow margin over the Kowa. I would have called it a tie. She liked the Swarovski so I might end up selling them to her. They are too much bino for me and she has the perfect large backyard on the creek to use them on a monopod. She could get some amazing views of her several owls that live there, right at dusk and dawn. They would likely be more used by her. I haven't decided if I'd like to buy the Kowas from her because of that fov. Might just get another Meopro in 8x. They are very very nice however. Just a side note I brought a 10x32 Celestron Trailseeker (under $200) and we both thought that it was really very nice even compared to the high end binoculars. What a fun day, her back yard was full of birds of differing kind. Must be nice to live on a beautiful clean creek and wooded land.

Last edited:
Eagle Optics Ranger 6x32, and an Eagle Optics 8x32 and a Sightron Blue Sky 8x32. The blue sky really didn't hold up against the top guys as should be expected and I liked the Eagles better also. Both the Eagle Optics have beautiful sharp views in center but both are a little dark compared to the others and a little soft on the edges. All the binoculars were great and fun to look through. Had I to live with any one pair I'd be ok with that. Grateful in fact. To have a bunch is really cool.

Surprising about the Kowa I thought it had an 8 degree FOV, but I thought it had a small sweet spot.

If the Meoptas fit your facial features, I believe that it could be the best budget glass in 8X32. Personally I don't care too much about weight but how well a glass is made, the Meopta B1 class are almost like military grade.

A.W.

Surprising about the Kowa I thought it had an 8 degree FOV, but I thought it had a small sweet spot.

If the Meoptas fit your facial features, I believe that it could be the best budget glass in 8X32. Personally I don't care too much about weight but how well a glass is made, the Meopta B1 class are almost like military grade.

A.W.

You are correct and I am wrong. I was looking at the specs on the 10x and not the 8x DUH! My bad. it is 8 degree FOV. That's a very decent 420 ft. We were not looking long distances and we read the wrong specs. and I just assumed that was correct and thought that is a very shabby fov for an 8x. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back