• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any new LATEST & GREATEST on the way..? (1 Viewer)

The BulbMogul

Just curious if there is anything new being possibly released this summer in the way of Swarovski fine optics as bins and scopes..?

Thanks for mentioning that Jan, I hadn't noticed. It's surprising, the SLC 42 seems very popular still, apart from criticism of the loss of close focus from the previous model, which would be embarrassing to have to correct. So what will it get... a FieldPro strap like the new CL?

Given the virus and shutdowns....I doubt if you will see much. The SF is a bit late in coming .....and I doubt if something wasn't announced at any recent bird fair, then few surprises are on the way.... lehmann

With the x42 SLC’s it may be as simple as upgrading to the FieldPro strap and objective attachments

If so, there may also be a revision to the RA, as it no longer has a family resemblance to either the EL/ EL Range lines or the CL Companion line
So more like the CL:
- with a similar texture,
- along with the hawk badge located much higher on the right barrel, and the Swarovski label moved outboard on the left barrel,
- and some exposed magnesium in the bridge area (as on the original 2010 version)?

See the images from the covers of the current brochures at: https://www.swarovskioptik.com/customer_service?contentid=10007.466400

John

Attachments

• EL FieldPro.jpg
    EL FieldPro.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 59
  • CL Companion.jpg
    CL Companion.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 47
  • SLC x56 & x42.jpg
    SLC x56 & x42.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
John:

I hope that is not all there is to an change in the model. For some, the fieldpro strap is not an upgrade
but a downgrade, just a gimmick. The objective cover thing is an improvement, very slight and not worth
a mention.

So, a change in model or upgrade should include some optical changes, and improvements in what we see through those tubes of glass.

I digress, and know that is a challenge for designers........

We all know that the mfrs. read this forum, and now they are gritting their teeth, with the expectations
placed on them. Their jobs do not allow them to recline on sofas all day I assume. ;)

The EL is the one due for changes. The SLC has had some changes over the years.

Jerry

With the x42 SLC’s it may be as simple as upgrading to the FieldPro strap and objective attachments

If so, there may also be a revision to the RA, as it no longer has a family resemblance to either the EL/ EL Range lines or the CL Companion line
So more like the CL:
- with a similar texture,
- along with the hawk badge located much higher on the right barrel, and the Swarovski label moved outboard on the left barrel,
- and some exposed magnesium in the bridge area (as on the original 2010 version)?

See the images from the covers of the current brochures at: https://www.swarovskioptik.com/customer_service?contentid=10007.466400

John

Thanks a lot.. how about a new 15x56EL Field Pro..?

John:

I hope that is not all there is to an change in the model. For some, the fieldpro strap is not an upgrade
but a downgrade, just a gimmick. The objective cover thing is an improvement, very slight and not worth
a mention.

I own the 8x32SV FP and I would tend to agree with this. They ditched a timeless and accessory flexible metal lug for a proprietary design, that becomes useless if any of the four removable parts (two on each side) are lost or misplaced. If you want to use any aftermarket strap or harness, you have to purchase two 44308's, which are still plastic and still have the issue of being lost or misplaced. If you absolutely adore the factory neck strap, I guess none of this is an issue, unless the factory strap has to be replaced and the only replacement option is from Swarovski. I don't imagine the days are far off when we'll start seeing used SV FP's selling on ebay, pictured with two, bare metal pins sticking out of the barrels and no neck strap in sight. I'd much prefer if they'd switch back to a non-proprietary design.

My other question is if I had bought brand new Swarovski EL12X50 Field Pro and Swarovski EL 10X42 Rangefinders about 1 1/2 years ago, do I have the most up today as we speak..? Both purchased where lots of this stuff is moved and sold...!

Hi BM,

As we know, Swarovski serial numbering includes a dating component. And while that’s handy, knowing the age of a product
seems to create concern that’s not as often expressed in the Leica and Zeiss threads

In short, like other manufacturers, when Swarovski makes a major upgrade they typically promote it since it’s good business to do so

However, again like other manufacturers they also routinely make small changes. These include:
- internal engineering changes that we’re oblivious to
- obvious external changes like RA coverings, that are usually a matter of relative preference for individual users
- and more subtly, performance changes to lens coatings

In relation to the last, if there’s been a change in the last 18 months it will be of very small effect. Either a slight increase in the overall transmission,
or an increase in the evenness of the transmission
If such a change has occurred, you might be able to detect it by directly comparing an older unit to a newer one
- but even if it’s observable, it’s not going to be significant in use

- - - -
Although I’ve not previously commented on the propriety FieldPro strap connectors, I can’t say that I’m a fan

If you want to use a Quick Detachable system, there are 3rd party options
. . . and if you don’t want the complication of your $3k investment hanging from a QD mechanism, you’re not going to be reassured

It would be interesting to know if the QD mechanism has influenced anyone enough to buy another brand instead of Swarovski
(when I bought my EL SV 12x50, I was pleased that it was the pre-FP version)

John

Last edited:
Hi BM,

As we know, Swarovski serial numbering includes a dating component. And while that’s handy, knowing the age of a product
seems to create concern that’s not as often expressed in the Leica and Zeiss threads

In short, like other manufacturers, when Swarovski makes a major upgrade they typically promote it since it’s good business to do so

However, again like other manufacturers they also routinely make small changes. These include:
- internal engineering changes that we’re oblivious to
- obvious external changes like RA coverings, that are usually a matter of relative preference for individual users
- and more subtly, performance changes to lens coatings

In relation to the last, if there’s been a change in the last 18 months it will be of very small effect. Either a slight increase in the overall transmission,
or an increase in the evenness of the transmission
If such a change has occurred, you might be able to detect it by directly comparing an older unit to a newer one
- but even if it’s observable, it’s not going to be significant in use

- - - -
Although I’ve not previously commented on the propriety FieldPro strap connectors, I can’t say that I’m a fan

If you want to use a Quick Detachable system, there are 3rd party options
. . . and if you don’t want the complication of your $3k investment hanging from a QD mechanism, you’re not going to be reassured

It would be interesting to know if the QD mechanism has influenced anyone enough to buy another brand instead of Swarovski
(when I bought my EL SV 12x50, I was pleased that it was the pre-FP version)

John

To answer your last question,
It is the by far best sold brand, so it is not an issue in any way and I have not seen a decisive brand choice made based on a strapsystem.
The most made comment on this system is that there is finally a strapsystem that "prevents" the straps to twist.

Jan

Thanks for mentioning that Jan, I hadn't noticed. It's surprising, the SLC 42 seems very popular still, apart from criticism of the loss of close focus from the previous model, which would be embarrassing to have to correct. So what will it get... a FieldPro strap like the new CL?

I don't know if the SLC has a locking mechanism which stops the dioptre adjustment from popping up accidentally like the SV's, but if it doesn't it may get that upgrade.

Hi Jan (post #12),

I don’t imagine that the FieldPro connector will have a noticeable effect on commercial sales one way or another
Though an individual thinking in terms of long term use, especially in remote locations, may have significant reservations

In contrast, I’d be greatly surprised if organisational purchasers - especially military or law enforcement ones - would view the FP connector positively

It’s not hard to imagine which a procurement committee would be more inclined to:
a) ‘Hey that’s neat. Some of our folks will appreciate that’
b) ‘Whoa! That’s an unnecessary problem best avoided’

Presumedly for such customers, Swarovski can make binoculars with conventional loops fixed to the body, in place of the connector pins

An important part of the Swarovski ethos is offering products that maintain value and usability over the long term
How FP connectors will hold up over 20 years or more of use is of course unknown, though perhaps anticipatable?

John

Last edited:
I own the 8x32SV FP and I would tend to agree with this. They ditched a timeless and accessory flexible metal lug for a proprietary design, that becomes useless if any of the four removable parts (two on each side) are lost or misplaced.

I won't buy any Swarovski binocular with the Field Pro system.

It's as simple as that.

Hermann

I won't buy any Swarovski binocular with the Field Pro system.

It's as simple as that.

Hermann

I fully agree. I had two 8.5x42 and a 8x30 CL for testing. All three bins had a problem with the lock system. Plus: I prefer to use my elk leather strap.

I also don't care for the FP attachment system. If a Swaro with FP were otherwise my preferred bin, it would certainly not stop me from buying it, but I also view it as a negative. About as useful as a touchscreen for climate control in a car.

From an engineering perspective there is no reason they cannot make a robust, reliable, non removable rotating strap lug that still takes a traditional strap that would offer the benefit of the FP with none of the proprietary or missing part headache. While I would still prefer just a simple strap lug over that, and it would be perhaps subject to wear/failure/warranty service, at least it would be less proprietary.

FieldPro Patent for neck strap

Further to the comments in this post about the FieldPro neck strap connector, I recently located the US patent
See the attached copy along with some images which show the complexity of the base and the connector

I’ve also attached an image of a CL Nomad showing the hand sewing of the leather coverings. It also shows the FP base fitted on the CL

As can be seen the patent features the EL Range model. The FieldPro modifications were first introduced on the EL Range in late 2014, with the various size EL’s following in mid 2015
The patent also includes a variation whereby power for the EL Range’s electronics can be provided by a source located in the neck strap (Figures 11 & 12)

It seems convenient to add the information here for ease of future reference

John

Attachments

• US20160341949A1 (FP Neck strap).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • Fig 1 & 2.jpg
    Fig 1 & 2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Fig 3 to 6.jpg
    Fig 3 to 6.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Fig 11 & 12.jpg
    Fig 11 & 12.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 42
  • CL Nomad.jpg
    CL Nomad.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 52
Now I don't have a Swaro anymore but have looked into the CL with the new strap system....it appeared workable to me. Why the issue? Is it that it comes off accidentally or just that people can't have their regular straps attached? jim

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back