• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (2 Viewers)

63 Common Redstart

Peak migration time and glorious weather, so where are the birds I ask myself?

Seems hard work here too, but additions keep coming - partly because I'm new here this year, and partly because. (No raptor flocks and very few small flitty passerines last few days though).

I was in fever about a week. So you might think, now I had a good time to watch gardenbirds. Yes - I have a time, but I also have been so tired that whole good migration week passed by me. Now, when I'm up again - cold weather, rain and northern winds... :-C

I have a few additions what so ever:

#38. Cormorant
#39. Buzzard
#40. Curlew
#41. Bean Goose (probably Tundra)
#42. Raven

There has been a bit of a fall of spring migrants across Portugal the last 2 days, not quite like our autumns but just in the few sq. metres I can watch from home its even evident: 2 more just now that I missed last year:

52. 2 gorgeous Garden Warblers
53. Reed Warbler

SNAP Mark, two together in my case (which nudges me ahead of Ken again8-P ):

64 House Martin

The huge amount of snow that fell in winter is melting very fast,making the river so noisy that I can’t hear birdsong unless it’s really close, this morning I had singing Willow Warbler and Tree Pipit at 100 and 200m from the house respectively, inaudible from the garden though so not on the list yet:-C
Hope you’re fully recovered Wari.

...and another warbler today...singing too, as did one of the Garden Warblers doing its "bubbling brook" - definitely not drowning anything out...Richard ;).

54. Melodious Warbler

50) Yellow-legged Gull 1N

Cloudy with sun breaking through today - muggy though. Had a tail-less raptor fly over which could have been interesting, but remained unid'ed

Probably just a Black Kite tbh, although the flight was weird and laboured.

Noise issues here revolve around too many very noisy frogs, especially in the evening and at night. Did pop out just now with the express aim of adding

51) Nightingale - 1 heard distantly

in a brief interlude between the Noisy Tree Frogs and Other Frogs (Frogus annoyingus and Frogus ohforasquaccotojoinus )

Last edited:
Noise issues here revolve around too many very noisy frogs, especially in the evening and at night. Did pop out just now with the express aim of adding

51) Nightingale - 1 heard distantly

in a brief interlude between the Noisy Tree Frogs and Other Frogs (Frogus annoyingus and Frogus ohforasquaccotojoinus )

If that unusual Squacco subspecies doesn't turn up Dan, you should encourage the local restaurateurs to come and err, 'harvest' the frogs, very tasty with that garlic stuffing:eek!:

I managed to hear the Tree Pipit early this morning, just now a much closer Bonelli's Warbler was trilling, they breed a few kms away but so far have proved to be quite a rarity around the house, only my second here:

65 Tree Pipit
66 Bonelli's Warbler

Because of Parcel Force's abject failure to deliver a parcel I was out of bed off a night shift when two

55: Curlews

flew by.

Small mercies.

Very nice period here at present - Whinchats freshly back on territory early afternoon, a pair of Goldeneyes hanging out near a nestbox, plus the flood pool still holding birds, one pair of Whooper Swans lingering, but also a pair of Redshanks this morning (last saw in my land in 2013), along with a Snipe. Also new for the year, one House Martin and, thanks to careful perusal of adjacent stork nests, nesting Tree Sparrows. Need to take my scope to add House Sparrow! Bittern still booming.

Also forgot to add Mute Swan, pair over in early March.

72. Mute Swan
73. Goldeneye
74. Common Snipe
75. Common Redshank
76. House Martin
77. Whinchat
78. Tree Sparrow

Last edited:
A garden tick yesterday (takes us to 93 species since we moved in 2 years ago), another warbler that breeds not far away, but higher up than our 1,000m., rattling away in the blossoming fruit trees:

67 Lesser Whitethroat

Last edited:
Waiting for warblers here, but with the last of the really cold weather finally over (she says with fingers crossed!), the migration gates have finally opened here.

29 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 21 Apr 2018
30 Fox Sparrow 21 Apr 2018
31 Northern Flicker 22 Apr 2018
32 Eastern Phoebe 22 Apr 2018
33 Common Loon 24 Apr 2018 (heard only so far, the lake is still mostly frozen so they are flying over looking for open water)
34 Chipping Sparrow 24 Apr 2018
35 Red-winged Blackbird 24 Apr 2018
36 Ruby-crowned Kinglet 25 Apr 2018

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back