• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water or Meadow Pipit (1 Viewer)

RICHARD DAWKINS

I saw this for a few seconds at Grafham Water so looking at the bill and eyestripe i would lean to Water Pipit
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 4-036.jpg
    4-036.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 184
Hi Richard

No expert by all means, especially from this angle, but it looks more like a rather worn Meadow Pipit to me (hence amount of 'white' around eye and lores). The mantle and head are rather boldly streaked and lack the more even greyer tones of a Water Pipit. Tail sides are not obviously white, perhaps again, just rather worn as is rump. Bill looks fairly stoutish at the base cf. to W.P.

Just my pennies worth but could be right wrong!

Last edited:
Don't rely on this alone, but I'd say meadow pipit... Eye stripe doesn't seem marked enough, and the bill doesn't convince me either. Still learning my pipits though, wait for a better reply...

Also, seems too "rich" in colour, not grey enough for water.

Last edited:
I saw this for a few seconds at Grafham Water so looking at the bill and eyestripe i would lean to Water Pipit
Thanks in advance

Overall olive brown tone and slim bill on this bird make it a Meadow Pipit. Also think the leg colour looks pinkish and there dont appear to be any really obvious white tail sides.

Agree with Meadow pipit. At this time of year water pipits are more distinctive than Meadow.

What I did Richard, to aid identification, was to twitch a Water Pipit, otherwise if you are looking for them you could end up thinking every other Meadow was a Water Pipit.

The only problem is that it was a few years ago and I have forgot what they look like :-O

Last edited:
They're fairly distinctive most times of the year, if you can familiarise yourself with structural differences and call of course - during the Autumn/winter, Meadow Pipits are in fresh plumage, but, just to be aware of putting too much emphasis on face/upperpart plumage as the year progresses as they can begin to look very worn and can give a rather pale/greyish and washed out overall appearance, . (Leg colour a good distinction in summer if you can see the legs and breast too) - (I personally can't see legs in this pic!) but the other features mentioned rule out Water. Having said that, I hate Iding pipits, even more so from photos!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back