• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dogs on Nature Reserves (1 Viewer)

Dogs on Nature Reserves.

Why didn't they know which force had spoken to her? Why didn't they know where the incident took place? Why did she then refer to an Investigation report... Seriously, what was on the 'Investigation' Report? Why were you discussing the report with a telephone operator and why did she have access to it? Who was she to specifically tell you she wasn't qualified and then have a debate with you?

It reeks of pathetic incompetence at best, plain idleness, or worse, simply coming down to the arbitrary judgement of the telephone operator. You were, after all, referred immediately to complaining (I should send it to both Humberside and Lincolnshire forces just to be sure you get a satisfactory reply:t:) rather than being able to speak to a helpful, real police officer as you experienced on your previous call. <snip>

It's an absolute shambles, an embarrassing disgrace. And it's not just you getting this banal and incoherent response - no one on here seems remotely surprised. I'm not either.
Sorry to be so cynical but dog chips in 2016 good news... :-O:-O:-O:-O

Dog chips is a great suggestion ;)

Sorry George but I cant answer any of your questions as I was becoming more and more confused and even embarrassed for the lady telephone operator as the conversation went on.
I know the police are very busy and that maybe dogs attacking a grown men is way down on their priority list but the least one should expect from the police is that they treat you with respect when they tell you the bad news.
'Preferring instead to take the easy way out by believing the lying dog walker over me. :C

Taking time to explain why the police told me it's not illegal for a dog to attack and frighten you would also be nice, especially as many government web sites state. "Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. - If a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place – the owner or the person in charge of the dog is guilty of an offence" It does NOT! have to bite you....
If the dog also bit you. Then they are "guilty of an aggravated offence" under the same act.

Thanks for the advice regarding sending it to both forces George. Will do!
Hope I don't get two more sets of crass insensitive reply's for my trouble. :C

http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/An...p_Control_or_Ban_dogs_on_Nature_Reserves_NOW/

Last edited:
Last edited:
Dogs should not only be chipped but licensed, and the license should cost good cash money and be dependent on having a fixed abode. At the very least that would sort out pikey lurchers used for hunting and local defence of illegal traveller sites: it would also provide a starting point for any investigation.

John

I might add to that insured.

Rich

You might, but frankly who cares if your bite is paid for by an insurance company or the sale of the owner's family home? Not me!

My next dog (probably not till my retirement) will be insured immediately but I assure you it will (a) be fully trained and (b) not bite anybody I don't want it to - ever. I might make a special exception for SW....

John

At least it will be paid for. You are assuming the owner owns their own home. Should cover a decent trip to Aus as well. As for the last sentence.......:-O

Rich
You might, but frankly who cares if your bite is paid for by an insurance company or the sale of the owner's family home? Not me!

My next dog (probably not till my retirement) will be insured immediately but I assure you it will (a) be fully trained and (b) not bite anybody I don't want it to - ever. I might make a special exception for SW....

John

Just to quantify that there are approx. 8 million dogs in the uk. Of course there is going to be the odd (some extremely serious) issue but equally you could say the same about cars with low NCAP ratings, eating a bacon sandwich, outboard motors or even supporting Wales (not good for your BP!)

Just say you don't like dogs SW and be done with it.

Rich

Out at Stodmarsh earlier this week and what do I find? Why a dog walker with hound off lead coming along towards me just as I reached the marshy field I was hoping to check for Water Pipit. Knowing full well that to reach this point they must have passed at least 4 signs telling folks to keep dogs on leads I politely say "Oh didn't you see the signs about dogs on leads? It would really be helpful if you out you dog on its lead. Response - I was totally blanked. I try again "Birds are much more disturbed by dogs off the lead. This is a nature reserve". - all the time keeping my body language relaxed & tone pleasant. Blanked again. Then reluctantly I extracted a "I know its a reserve." I say my bit again and am once more blanked. I confess I then lost it a trifle and said what I thought! What really got me wasn't so much that the dog was off it's lead. but the extraordinary arrogance and rudeness of the m/c couple concerned. All those signs, a polite request and brief explanation of how their behaviour was impinging upon my enjoyment of the place and still no courtesy. Later another couple - this time with three dogs off the lead. Same routine except that the answer promptly say a 'Sorry' fumble with leads wander off and, of course, they don't actually put them on. Annoying but not the red mist moment as earlier!

...and this seems to be the response every time. For some reason they can't accept rules when those rules include their ridiculaous creature. They revert to acting like a teenager who has just been told they can't go to the youth club. I would love to get a whole bunch of the pathetic sods in a room and ask them why they act like children every time their animal is criticised.

Last Sunday I was in Goodrington where I saw an elderly couple (probably about my age 3:) ) who were walking with their medium sized terrier dog off leash. The dog suddenly rushed into the road causing a car to brake sharply. The man then shouted a load of abuse at the car driver saying that he should watch where he was going! Half an hour later I am in the area of the Youngs Park that is set aside for widlife and is gated with an official Torbay Council sign stating "No Dogs", and see the same couple with dog (still off leash), walking towards me, I asked them if they had seen the signs saying "No Dogs", the woman's response was, "That only applies to big dogs."!

That's one of the reasons I mentioned insurance SW ( the car driver swerving). But my example was moving away from the OP, hence I didn't mention it.

Rich

I also differentiate between your focused and justifiable comments and SW's prejudiced and uninformed ranting. I did think his attack comment was funny though. John

I simply follow you guidance as to how to make uniformed and preduced comments John .. you are far better at it than me ;)

I must also go back and check my birth certificate as you appear to have changed my sex :eek!:

I am I sorry Clarke, I am sure that your comment is very funny but sadly I cannot see it as you are on my ignore list.

Last edited:
...in the area of the Youngs Park that is set aside for widlife and is gated with an official Torbay Council sign stating "No Dogs", and see the same couple with dog (still off leash), walking towards me, I asked them if they had seen the signs saying "No Dogs", the woman's response was, "That only applies to big dogs."!

Be fair, SW, you didn't ask them if their dog was literate enough to read the sign... :eek!:

You see, from their response, I conclude that they were amongst the roughly 10% of the UK population who are unfortunate to be functionally illiterate!:-O
MJN

Does "functionally illiterate" mean "can't read, won't read" ?

Doubtless some can make out words like 'lager' and 'nightclub', but sadly it's a huge problem in UK not confined to the feckless. My son and daughter-in-law are primary school teachers, and they know several children who read all the bills and letters aloud to their parents...
MJB:-C

Doubtless some can make out words like 'lager' and 'nightclub', but sadly it's a huge problem in UK not confined to the feckless. My son and daughter-in-law are primary school teachers, and they know several children who read all the bills and letters aloud to their parents...

They were a very average looking old couple. Bewildered at to why cars would be travelling at 30MPH along the Dartmouth Road when their little "Pixie" ran into the road. Later when they were walking through the wildlife section of the park the lady did assure me that she could read.

A new trick by the dogs on the beach brigade that one of the litter pickers told me about was that they put the dog poo in a plastic bag and then bury it on the beach .. a new "treasure" for the beachcombers to find.

I spent several years as a school governor at a primary school, one of the teachers told me that she had once been threatened by a parent for telling his son that smoking was an unhealthy habit.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back