• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which foot plate Nikon 500 f4 to Wimberley II (1 Viewer)

Thanks Watts

I did indeed order the kirk as it seemed more low profile, that arived yesterday as did the lens so I will have a play with them over the weekend.

Steve

Steve I would avoid the Kirk and go for the Wimberley, the Kirk appears to have no stops at either end of the plate thus if the mount became lose the lens would slide off, I have the Wimberley plate for my 400/2.8 which is very similar to the AP554 and it comes with 2 small screw in studs.
A friend of mine only last week lost his 500/4 with 1.4 attached on a 5DMkII as he stood up the whole lot slipped off the back of the head, can't happen with the Wimberley, needless to say he's just ordered a new plate and TC plus his lens and body are enroute top Canon to be repaired and checked.

Opps sorry didn't see the replies to the question, please correct me if I'm mistaken re the stop studs on the Kirk

the Kirk appears to have no stops at either end of the plate thus if the mount became lose the lens would slide off,
Now I feel really bad because Steve has bought the Kirk.

My Kirk does have stops (a small dome head bolt at each end of the underside) but I can't see anywhere for them to screw in in the Warehouse Express illustration. On the Kirk page though - http://www.kirkphoto.com/Lens_Plate_for_500mm_f4_D_AFS_&_series_II_replacing_Nikon_foot.html
there is the same illustration without the stops and then a close-up showing them.

Realistically, I've never experienced the foot slipping in the Wimberley clamp, but it's a comfort to know the stops are there - not least when sliding the foot backwards and forwards to change the balance when adding or removing the 1.4 converter.

Bill

My Kirk has the two little stops which are screws. You have the option of fitting them or not. They are included in the price.
The Kirk allows more room to use it as a hand grip than the Wimberley which you might struggle to get your fingers around.
cheers Dave

Well, interesting developments, I shall take a closer look now and see if it has the stops.
My wimberley plate to fit my Sigma 100-300 came with scew in stops. I shall report back on the Kirk
Thanks for the heads up

Set the foot up on the lens this evening, it does indeed have two little screws supplied with allan key which act as stops.
So, Watts..... you can relax, I have no regrets in buying the Kirk LP-47:t:

Thats a relief, the one my friend has is 4 years old so maybe a more recent development, glad its now got them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back