• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two pomarine skuas? Offshore, Maine (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Two skuas. Offshore, Maine

Hello,

I was on a whale watching trip this morning in the pelagic waters off northeastern Maine (in fact, I believe we entered Canadian waters at some point!) and these two skuas came to check us out.
Are they both Poms?

Thanks in advance,

T

Attachments

• 6Z1A1753 - Copy.JPG
    6Z1A1753 - Copy.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 6Z1A1761 - Copy.JPG
    6Z1A1761 - Copy.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Why not long-tailed skua for the second bird? Small bill, white in primaries restricted to two outer shafts etc.

Why not long-tailed skua for the second bird? Small bill, white in primaries restricted to two outer shafts etc.

I was thinking the same, and why not Long-tailed for the first bird also? Both appear to have short bills (harder to judge on the first bird due to angle) with roughly equal distribution of black tip and greyer basal half.

I'm not getting a Pom vibe from either image. The first is surely between Arctic/Parasitic and Long-tailed, with the grey-tones (hind-neck in particular) and round-tipped central tail feathers favouring Long-tailed.

Last edited:
Haha wow I really am bad at those, but long-tailed is a lifer, so that's nice!
Thanks to the experts!

Here is one more photo of each bird, seen directly from below.

T

Attachments

• bird 1.JPG
    bird 1.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 57
  • bird 2.JPG
    bird 2.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back