• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Florida bird and animal identification books (1 Viewer)

Tony,

Sounds like your trip was a great success! Sorry, I did not manage to answer your question in time. Viera Wetlands is large but you can see across it fairly easily. Also, as you noticed, the Crested Caracaras are usually right near the entrance!

Carlos

Hi Carlos

yes certainly was!
i plan to upload some photos and do a brief summary of what i saw/photoed but might be few weeks to sort out. Funnily enough the last week produced only a few new birds with the strong winds reducing the number of birds on show at the keys and everglades. However did see frigatebirds and superb close up views of osprey and manatees in the keys....plus the amazingly accomodating burrowing owls at Marco island (just off kendall road, a small right turn just before going over a bridge). Biggest disappointments - not seeing a pileated woodpecker despite visiting so many sites where they are "common", missing mangrove cuckoo and missing a photo of the male painted bunting at green cay.

thanks to everyone for their help.
Tony

Last edited:
Birdings a funny old game. I've been to Florida twice over the last decade. Seen plenty of Pileated Woodpeckers in many different areas. However, I dipped Burrowing Owl at every single place I tried! (and I tried all the reliable sites).

I'll look forward to the report.

Guess thats what makes it such a fascinating hobby. The owls were standing guard at their burrow entrances within 30 feet of eachother and showing down to about 6 feet at midday - dipped on the 2 noted sites on kendall rd but saw these 20 seconds away on what is probably Clifton ct.

At corkscrew swamp i even had someone walk up to me saying he'd just seen 3 pileated peckers "in the big tree in the field round the corner" - were they there when i got there ? No chance!

Tony

I dont suppose i could enlist a little help with identifying a few birds from wako ?

see attached, heavily cropped in some cases;

are 1&2 both boat tailed grackles - both dark and light irises?
is 3 a gray cowbird?
are 4-7 all palm warblers?
any idea for 8 & 9 ??

[can only upload 5 at a time so will split photos over 2 posts]

thanks
Tony

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 43
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 35
rest of photos for above post....

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 38
...and a couple i do know !!

Attachments

• red-bellied woodpecker wakodahatchee, delray beach,  Florida 1-2011 v71178.jpg
    red-bellied woodpecker wakodahatchee, delray beach, Florida 1-2011 v71178.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 36
  • red-bellied woodpecker wakodahatchee, delray beach,  Florida 1-2011 v71157.jpg
    red-bellied woodpecker wakodahatchee, delray beach, Florida 1-2011 v71157.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 41
  • american bittern wakodahatchee, delray beach, Florida 1-2011 v71075.jpg
    american bittern wakodahatchee, delray beach, Florida 1-2011 v71075.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 33
  • american bittern wakodahatchee, delray beach, Florida 1-2011 v71076.jpg
    american bittern wakodahatchee, delray beach, Florida 1-2011 v71076.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 37
  • american bittern wakodahatchee, delray beach, Florida 1-2011 v71091.jpg
    american bittern wakodahatchee, delray beach, Florida 1-2011 v71091.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 41
Nice shots! I think you're right on all of them. Lucky you - I still haven't had a catbird. And the bittern shots are a coup!

8 I believe is a female red winged Blackbird.
9 I don't know, will be interested to see what others think.

#4 looks to be a yellow-rumped warbler...all the others look like palms.

I agree on #8 being a female red-winged blackbird.

#9 I can't say. It really seems to have the look of a grackle, but the colors are all wrong.

I believe you are correct on your grackle IDs and the cowbird.

Congrats on the bitterns - even for those of us who frequent these two places, the bitterns can be a harder find.

incredibly lucky with the bittern - someone else was on it and pointed it out where it was well hidden, at which point it immediately strode out into the open though never giving a perfect side-on view.

Could #9 be, what's the word, a part melanistic/albino grackle ? Though interestingly it was in the reeds by the boardwalk well away from the bushes where the grackles were hanging out....

glad to hear one of the warblers might be something other than a palm ! Got the feeling the c30 warblers I photoed over the whole of Florida will turn out to be c30 Palms ! Though did see a common yellowthroat and yellow throated warbler at the Miami Hilton !

Tony

Indeed I suppose it could be a leucistic grackle...the two peacocks that have been hanging out at Wakodahatchee the past few weeks are leucistic. Maybe a post on the Bird Identification forum might get confirmation from those better in the know.

If you'd like a yellow-throated warbler, I've got one I'd love to gift to you...he hangs out in a tree by my driveway, and each morning and afternoon lands on my car doors to have a fight with my rearview mirrors, whereupon he proceeds to drop his previous dinners all down the side of my doors. He's kind enough to alternate back and forth to the two different mirrors every few minutes, to duel with both imaginary competitors...so both doors get equally soiled. He's incredibly lucky I'm a wildlife and bird enthusiast, because otherwise I'd flyswat him to the window. ;)

#1 is a Boat-tailed Grackle, while #2 is a Common Grackle

#3 is a Gray Catbird.

Your warbler shots all show Palm Warblers (western race).

Photo #9 is a leucistic female Boat-tailed Grackle.

Carlos

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back