Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon EDG Sports Line - Dead Or Alive ? When discontinued ?

Old Monday 23rd September 2019, 16:15   #26
mwhogue
BF Supporter 2019

Tom,

Thanks for the clarification. I understand and agree.

Mike

BF Supporter 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 23rd September 2019, 18:46   #27
SeldomPerched

To cheer you up after my 'I may know but shan't tell' post: in case anyone interested hasn't seen the Nikon UK website, the following EDG models are still listed:

EDG 10x32 is the only 32 listed;
EDG 7, 8 & 10x42 are all listed. So of the alphas (Nikon isn't a beta surely?) that's two manufacturers still offering a 7x. Leica with Ultravid HD Plus and Nikon with the EDG.

The prices go up from 1,889 thru 2,159 moving from the 10x32 thru the 42s to the 10x42.

A lot of money but if you like Nikon (which I do) it is on a par with Swarovski and without getting into the flat field pros and cons I suppose with Nikon you do get a flat field with just a tiny touch of 3D at the edges to mitigate any 'Globuseffekt'. Anyway, that's what is still officially on the menu over here.

Enjoy!

Tom
Old Tuesday 24th September 2019, 04:02   #28
wdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I haven't tried the 8x32 EDG in awhile so I thought I would compare them to my SV 8x32's. The SV's are going to have the FOV advantage and edge sharpness advantage but I expect the EDG to have the glare advantage. The 32mm SV's can have a little glare and the 10x32 SV was worse than the 8x32 SV.
Here's my prediction on the outcome: The Nikon 8x42 MHG wins. Not the EDG, not the SV...

But you're welcome to disagree. ;-)
Old Tuesday 24th September 2019, 06:36   #29
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
Here's my prediction on the outcome: The Nikon 8x42 MHG wins. Not the EDG, not the SV...

But you're welcome to disagree. ;-)
My Nikon is a 10x42 HG so that is not really a good comparison. I think the SV 8x32 and the EDG 8x32 are well matched. They are probably about equal with each having their strong points. With these two it will come down to personal preference. The SV will have the FOV and sharp edge advantage and the EDG will have the glare advantage. SV's are really good binoculars but the smaller apertures can have glare problems. They are both pretty good binoculars.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: