• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Typo' in generic name (1 Viewer)

Tom Tarrant

Bird and Wildlife Tour Guide
Opus Editor
Australia
Just found an error with the spelling of "Todiramphus" Kingfishers, couldn't understand why the Search Engine couldn't find it and noticed that there was a typo....all species in the genus seemed to be called "Todirhamphus". Is it possible for Ollie to do a 'Global' search and replace?

I've changed Forest, Sacred, Red-backed, Beach and Collared Kingfishers (T. macleayii, sanctus, pyrrhopygia, saurophaga and chloris) already.
Tom

Just found an error with the spelling of "Todiramphus" Kingfishers, couldn't understand why the Search Engine couldn't find it and noticed that there was a typo....all species in the genus seemed to be called "Todirhamphus". Is it possible for Ollie to do a 'Global' search and replace?

I've changed Forest, Sacred, Red-backed, Beach and Collared Kingfishers (T. macleayii, sanctus, pyrrhopygia, saurophaga and chloris) already.
Tom

Hi Tom,
The reason of it is that the Sibley-Monroe is used as the list authority for the DB (and now Opus). I agree that Todiramphus is the more correct.

Hi Steve,
Just found that the misspelling is a lot older than I thought, found this on the Cook Islands Biodiversity site (http://cookislands.bishopmuseum.org)

Scientific Taxonomy

Todiramphus tuta
SYNONYMS: Halcyon tuta atiu; Halcyon tuta mauke; Todirhamphus tuta [misspelt, Lesson 1828 spelling was Todiramphus NOT Todirhamphus]; Todirhamphus tuta atiu; Todirhamphus tuta mauke

TAXONOMY: ANIMALIA; CHORDATA; GNATHOSTOMATA (Jawed Vertebrates); TETRAPODA; AVES; NEORNITHES; Coraciiformes; ALCEDINIDAE

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back