• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few IDs of Costa Rican birds. (1 Viewer)

Drevni

Needing help IDing a few of these birds that I saw on my trip to Costa Rica. These are all from the Savegre Valley.

DSC00354.jpg

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00793.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

Thank you as always!

1. Slaty Flowerpiercer
2. Rufous-Collared Sparrow
3. Not sure.
4. Some Woodcreeper, not sure.
5. Torrent Tyrannulet

Last edited:
Agree with OntBirder on 1,2, (4)& 5.

Believe the others are
#3 Yellowish Flycatcher Empidonax flavescens
#4 Streak-headed Woodcreeper Lepidocolaptes souleyetii

Regards,
Marie

Excellent photos!
Especially of the woodcreeper - been to CR three times, and don't think I've ever captured a woodcreeper image that was "ID-able". Also very cool to see an Empidonax that actually looks distinctive.

Please elaborate a bit - where is the Savegre Valley exactly?

Peter C.

Nice photos- especially nice to get shots of Slaty Flowerpiercer. They are very common but never stop moving!
Yes, the Empid. is Yellowish- nice, distinctive Empid. Note the overall dusky yellow appearance and strong eye ring with tear drop shape.
The Woodcreeper is Spot-crowned- same genus as Streak-headed but replaces it in highlands- is larger and has more spotted than streaked crown but otherwise pretty similar. Woodcreepers are tough but all in CR can be identified if you get a god look at the head and bill.

Thank you everyone for your replies! The Savegre Valley is near the Savegre Mountain Hotel. Its 80km from San Jose along the Interamericana Highway, turn right and its a road 9km down the mountain. Also called San Gerardo de Dota conservation area or the Valley of the Quetzals.

Dota Mountain birding

Hello, all -
This is my first posting to this forum. I'll be going to the Dota area, specifically the El Toucanet Lodge, for the last week of this month so your recent thread on Drevni's Dota bird i.d. was fun to follow. I enjoyed seeing actual pictures of some of the birds I've been reading about and reading Birdingcraft's CR blog.
I wonder if any of you have any more experience with the Dota area, around Copey and Santa Maria?
Drenvi, did you post a trip report anywhere? I'd like to read it if you did.

Looking forward to meeting all of you -

Steve

Steve, welcome to Birdforum!

Look around a little in the forum for the Vacation reports forum, use the search this forum tool to just see those from Costa Rica. Enjoy!

Also, use the opus and the gallery to see more photos of most of the species you are likely to see (yes, there are still a bunch missing, but almost 2/3 chance that a given bird is already there).

Cheers
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back