• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anybody lost a Green Macaw (or similar!!) (1 Viewer)

theMusicMan

Hi All

Just wanted to say that there's been a Green Macaw/Parrot flying around my area (the Moorings, Newport) for some weeks now. I first heard it three weeks ago, and wondered what it was as I had never heard that call previously. I knew it was something strange, simply by its call - never heard anything remotely like that. It comes by quite frequently - though not every day, and just spotted it again this morning in my garden.

Anyway, it's Parrot/small Macaw sized (I'd say between 12" - 20"), is green, and regularly flies around my garden and the area adjacent to the moorings field.

If anyone knows of an escapee... well it's here!!

I'll try to grab a photo as it announces itself quite clearly with its call.

have you considered the possibility of a ring necked parakeet?? these are getting really common in certain parts of the UK and are starting to turn up more often in gwent. If it is a RNP then a few birders would be quite keen to get it on their gwent list (including myself if i still lived in gwent)

Oooh, wouldn't really know the difference Luke, sorry! I have no idea to be truthful, exactly what it was. It was green, about 12"-18" in size, and made a sound like I haven't heard before. If I manage to see it again I'll try to grab a shot and post it here, will be difficult though.

Good to hear from you by the way... hope you're doing great in your new RSPB role, you deserved it.

have you considered the possibility of a ring necked parakeet?? these are getting really common in certain parts of the UK and are starting to turn up more often in gwent. If it is a RNP then a few birders would be quite keen to get it on their gwent list (including myself if i still lived in gwent)

Hi Luke

You could be right about it being a parakeet. One was seen here in Stoke-on-Trent Staffordshire only this week. The advice given was report to the county recorder for information.

Charlie

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back