• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trail Camera ID (1 Viewer)

MontanaOspreyCam

Registered Member
The picture below was taken by a trail camera in Condon, Montana the other day. Any help at all narrowing it down to possible species is greatly appreciated.

It is on a small pond (the camera is set up to take pictures of turtles).

I apologize for how blurry the picture is, but I didn't have control of the camera.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• cam31_20100513074311_p_003602.jpg
    cam31_20100513074311_p_003602.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 166
I was leaning toward Mountain Plover???

I thought this was a Spotted Sandpiper....(taken on a different day with the same trail camera)

Attachments

• cam31_20100515093248_p_003652.jpg
    cam31_20100515093248_p_003652.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 119
Your right on that last image, but as pointed out by Morg, the over exposure 'clouded' the original suggestion for ID.

Funny looking bird. Assuming the bill really is pale then that favours Spotted Sandpiper. The pale supercillium is a bit weird but could perhaps be explained by over-exposure. I find it a bit easier to make it into Spotted Sandpiper than anything else, but it does look strange.

It is a spot sand all right, just in direct sun so its features are burnt out and it is facing away from the camera a little which shortens the apparent length of the bill and condenses the markings on the neck to make it look as though it has a breast band.

The other picture shows it more clearly ;)

What's the turtle?

It is a spot sand all right, just in direct sun so its features are burnt out and it is facing away from the camera a little which shortens the apparent length of the bill and condenses the markings on the neck to make it look as though it has a breast band.

The other picture shows it more clearly ;)

What's the turtle?

The second picture as the op stated was on a different day ....

Niels

yes, the turtle is a western painted turtle :)

The pictures are from two different days, so they are most likely different birds (although could be the same specie).....sorry if I made that confusing by posting the second picture.

It sounds like the consensus is that it is a spotted sandpiper....thanks for the help! Please feel free to weigh in your answer if you think it is something else. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back