• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brunton Lite-Tech 8x25 Review (1 Viewer)

Atomic Chicken

Registered with the D.O.E.
Greetings!

After a long period of being too busy to go binocular shopping, I finally dragged myself down to a local sporting goods store for some optics testing yesterday. I basically wanted to examine a few oddball compact and mid-size binoculars that I've typically ignored in the past, because of their off-brand names or low-end status. I was not sure I wanted to buy anything, but rather to get back into the "feel" of optics comparisons after several months of being overworked with little time to spare.

The first thing I noticed when going to this particular shop was that they were carrying a new line of compact binoculars from Brunton, a company I have had decidedly mixed feelings about in the past. The new offerings included the "Echo" line of binoculars as well as the older "Eterna" line in the new 2005 case style. Also present were two configurations of "Lite-Tech" binoculars - 8x25 and 10x25. I decided to give the 8x25 a try, after retrieving my Zeiss Victory 8x20's from the car as a baseline comparison pair. I've always felt that 8x25 is a very nice configuration providing good light gathering combined with low weight and compact size... I don't understand why more manufacturers don't offer it instead of the more common 8x20 models.

First off, I need to state my past experience with Brunton. I've been distinctly underwhelmed with their high-end "Epoch" line of binoculars, viewing them as severely overpriced and rather mediocre optically. The Epoch binoculars are not as bright or contrasty as almost any other high-end brand I've compared them to, and the compact version Epochs (the 8x21 and 10x25 models) seem to have a nausea inducing "swimming" effect at the edge of the optics when panning around the scene. Last year I enjoyed a brief love affair with the "Eterna" binoculars in the 8x25 configuration, but after a week of dealing with the amazingly bad 270ft field of view I found that I just couldn't live with that drawback and ended up obtaining a refund that I used to purchase my current Zeiss 8x20 compacts. This was a very large disappointment to me, as everything else about the Eternas was top-notch. Bright, clear, contrasty - a beautiful image to behold - just not enough of it due to the severely inadequate field of view.

Which brings us back to yesterday. Not expecting much, I began my evaluation of the Brunton Lite-Tech 8x25 (model # 5037W). The first thing I noticed is how absolutely SOLID and rugged these feel... without feeling heavy or bulky. Weighing in at only 14 ounces, they fit perfectly in the hands and have thick, but tightly molded rubber armor that makes them feel almost like you could bounce them off the floor! They do not feel bulky in any way, but rather solid and nicely proportioned. They are fully waterproof, fogproof, and nitrogen purged for wet weather use... more on that later. The hinge is very well made, quite stiff yet smooth when adjusted. Two VERY solid neckstrap lugs are molded into the sides of the barrels, allowing you to securely fasten a neckstrap or leave it completely off if you desire (which is my personal choice). The diopter adjustment is on the right eyepiece, is solid and stiff, yet also smooth and easy to rotate when needed. It is not a locking type, but is tight enough that it will not rotate out of adjustment with normal use. The focus knob is smooth, with very little backlash, and is nicely ribbed for secure non-slip use even when wet. The focus is extremely fast, similar to the Nikon HG 8x32 - which may not appeal to some people. I found it to be acceptable, if not a tiny bit on the fast side. Focus from infinity to 6 ft. is approx. 3/4 turn. The Lite-Tech has a nice close focus - in the neighborhood of 6 feet, you can almost focus on your toes!

I did some birding in the rain today, and found that the ergonomic design of these binoculars is quite nice for wet use, I did not ever feel that I would loose my grip or have anything slip... even though it was quite wet and I had my parka hood up to keep from getting drenched. After approx. 45 minutes of this, the binoculars were completely soaked - but after a bit of drying off in the house it was obvious that the fully waterproof claim is quite justified and well earned. The eyecups are probably the weakest part of the ergonomic design, with approx. 3/16" of fold down rubber outer edge for eyeglass use. I've tried rolling these edges down, and found that they stay put quite nicely when in the rolled position, but overall it just isn't as nice as having the now common slide or helicoid type eyecups. For me, this is a non-issue however - as I don't wear eyeglasses. Overall, the ergonomics of these binoculars is first rate, with the eyecups being my only complaint and a small one at that.

Optically, these are very good, but not superb. The field of view is fantastic, 429 ft. at 1000 yards - better than most 7x binoculars. In fact, these are the widest field of view binoculars that I currently own, and it is a truly beautiful sight to behold. I could tell no difference in brightness between these and my Zeiss Victory 8x20 compacts, until it started getting darker. Under low-light conditions, the Brunton began to shine - quite literally. The extra objective lens size (8x25 vs. the Zeiss 8x20) makes for better low-light performance, giving probably 20-25 minutes of extended evening viewing at the same level of color and detail. These are also a bit more comfortable to use than the Zeiss 8x20, probably because of the larger exit pupil and less finicky eye to eyepiece alignment. I never felt fatigued after using these, even after today's rainstorm viewing session.

The viewing area, while having a big beautiful 429ft. FOV, is not sharp across the entire field - the outer 25% or so is noticably lacking in sharpness and detail. However, the field appears to be quite flat - with no discernable barrel or pincushion distortions. The optics are fully multi-coated and the prisms are BAK4 glass, but nowhere in the literature does it say that these are phase coated. I don't suspect that they are phase coated, as I could detect EVER SO SLIGHT improvements in detail when using the Zeiss 8x20... until the light fades, and the Brunton's took over in the detail department. I would say that the overall sharpness and detail resolution between the two binoculars is within 5%, it is NOT a huge difference or even a difference you would be likely to notice if you weren't looking quite carefully for it. I found that the color rendition of the Zeiss was also SLIGHTLY better, but again you have to REALLY BE LOOKING HARD to notice it - just moving the two binoculars back and forth and viewing the scene results in an almost identical perceived image - with the exception of the NOTICABLY larger field of view enjoyed by the Brunton. Glare when viewing objects in the same general direction as the sun is quite noticable, but it is the same with the Zeiss and just about every other binocular I have ever tried - making this another non-issue.

Needless to say, I purchased the pair I evaluated. At only $99, I would say these are the BEST bargain I have ever found on a sub-$100 binocular. They easily give the Zeiss Victory 8x20 a run for it's money, and at approx. 1/4 the cost we are talking about quite a bit of money to run for! Are they as good as the Zeiss? Not quite - although they are VERY close. A bit heavier, not quite up to the Zeiss optical quality (but easily within 5% of it) but with a magnificent field of view and rugged durability that easily put the Zeiss to shame - these are truly exceptional compacts for the price. I am happily including them in my top-5 favorite binoculars of all time category, and whole-heartedly recommend them to the buyer on a budget, or the buyer looking for the most rugged "beater" binoculars for glovebox and camping use.

The final verdict? Not the best, but a definite winner nonetheless.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Re evaluation on Bruntin's

Hi Bawko

Well in all honesty your very interesting take on these Brunton's set me thinking i would take another look through the pair i purchased some time ago having not really used then much except for "on the cuff" viewings

I took a chance on ebay a while ago basically bidding for a cheap small compact at 8 X with decent fov and managed to pick the Tech Lites up for £15 or approx $30-35 US Which imo seemed low cost as i have seen them at quite a bit more on some sites so far so good !!
Having spent so little i honestly didnt expect much from these and was quite prepared to see an "ok-ish" image Then i made the huge novices mistake of comparing them several times directly to my Nikon 10 x Se's and Zeiss Jena 10 x's and of course no surprises obviously they appeared very dim grey and noticeably poorly detailed especially beyond 80 -100 feet or so ...... however your comments prompted to me have another glance today and guess what ? in isolation and not stacking up against any "hot larger bins" these are actually not too bad for the price point
I agree with your findings mainly

Imo the image is quite wide field for a compact and reasonable detail can be seen close in up to 70-80 feet or so to be fair though thereafter when viewing further out things definitely become "murkier" and long range "landscape" panning is somewhat limited in resoloution
The eye relief is not fantastic i suspect and obviously light gathering is restricted but at the price point even $99 US i beleive there are worse models of similair configuration around
I think for some casual/secondary use a waterproof fairly rugged built compact like this isnt a bad call especially if it can be picked up cheaply and the limitations are considered against full size/higher quality products
One thing this little exercise has done however is yet again highlight the fantastic value of reverse porro compact designs
Many much more experienced folk on this forum than myself have stated this fact in different threads and i can now add my tuppence worth as confirmation

Basically i have subsequently today looked through a budget East German Praktica 10 x 30 reverse porro in comparison with the Brunton
Imho when compared for a while the porro has a much smaller field of view but certainly shows better resoloution than the Brunton(even with 10 x considered) and can hold the image further out in distance
The Praktica is also a little brighter and edge sharper but the 30mm objective is i think playing some part in the light factor
I must admit i was somewhat surprised when you rated the Brunton as being v close in performance to the Zeiss 8 x 20 compacts as i have always perceived these as a really premium roof compact
Perhaps i have underestimated the quality differential in the two designs when comparing compact or smaller bins
I know you have submitted several high quality and accurate posts on various topics in the past so with this in mind i can only assume that the Zeiss 8 x 20 is good but behind many lower cost reverse porro models in performance
Anyway learning/exchanging info is what the forum's about and i must try to have a look through a Zeiss compact when i have an oppurtunity
It certainly goes to show how a posting on this Forum can spark off a fresh take on a previous perception

Regards
Rich

Quality ?

Robert Ellis said:
They still say Brunton on them right? I'll pass.

Hi Robert

Its a funny thing this brand name thing in a sense after finding out a bit more info on them i agree that the Brunton "tag" seems to be perceived as lower end quality
Yet the Tech Lite compacts according to some are "not bad" and the pair i own for purely casual use though far from outstanding are better than i initially thought when comparing them to high quality bins

Imo the build quality is i think probably better than the opticals overall perhaps they are aimed at being used in "rougher" than normal conditions rather than for optical brilliance
Without veering too far off the thread and still on the topic of quality/name i know you recently went with Swift 820 Porro's i intend to purchase a pair in September when on holiday in Florida (love the optics and fov) but have heard mentions of build quality variations and suggestions that earlier models were slightly better build

any thoughts/comments/findings on your own pair please

Thanks
Rich

Rich,
No problems with my new 820s as of yet. I do admit that the 804 seems better built, but I have grown fond of the ED glass. In case you are interested my 804s are still for sale. I almost had both pairs ripped apart and the ED glass put into the older pair, but I decided the 82os were beefy enough.

richt,

You posted a lot to reply to (not that my original post was short by any means!) ;)

First off, with respect to your early comparisons of the Lite-Tech 8x25 to the full size Nikon and Zeiss 10x binoculars, there is really not much to say. There is NO compact binocular in the world that will compare favorably to full size models, especially if you are comparing the detail resolution of 10x full size to an 8x compact. The closest compact I have ever looked through in terms of equaling a full size binocular is the Nikon HG 10x25, and it still falls short of even 8x32 models in many respects. Low light performance in a compact is mediocre at best, and your observation about detail resolution at a distance is spot-on... very few compact binoculars give very good detail resolution at anything past about 100 yards.

I suppose the point I'm trying to get across is that unless you have a spare $600 sitting around to buy the latest Leica Ultravid 10x25 or Nikon HG 10x25 compact, you are probably going to be disappointed if you are expecting performance similar to full or even mid-size binoculars. Compact binoculars are GREAT for what they are - a convenient and lightweight daytime companion for situations where carrying a full-size is just not practical or possible.

With respect to the Brunton Lite-Tech comparing favorably to the Zeiss Victory 8x20 compact, I have this to say: The Zeiss Victory 8x20 is clearly the better binocular, until the light begins to fade... at which point the Brunton rapidly catches up then surpasses the Zeiss in detail and color rendition. For normal daytime use (which is all you should really be considering a compact binocular for anyway!), the Zeiss Victory is clearly the better instrument. However, keep in mind that we are comparing a $99 Brunton that is not phase coated to a $400 Zeiss that is made from some of the finest materials and coatings mankind is capable of creating. Keeping this in mind, along with the 4X cost difference, I personally find it astonishing that the optical quality of the two is within 5% or so. If I could only have one of the two models, and price was not of concern, I would take the Zeiss Victory 8x20 every time. However, if I was on ANY kind of a budget or wanted something that I could beat around without too much concern that I might break it, then the Brunton would take over as my first choice.

Hope this clears some things up, I guess the point I'm really trying to get across is that the Brunton Lite-Tech 8x25 is a marvelous 8x compact binocular for the price - not the best you can buy (I still give the Zeiss 8x20 that honor) but definitely the best sub-$100 waterproof compacts I have ever seen.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
richt,

You posted a lot to reply to (not that my original post was short by any means!) ;)

Hi again Bawko

Thanks for the clarification reply (and yes i think we both suffered an attack of verbal overload in the original conversation its easy to get carried away !)
I take your point ref the Brunton's actually and having looked again with them today must admit they are a decent "low cost" easy carry daylight option
Anyway your summary was interesting and informative well worth a read
I am still however frankly staggered at the performance of basic reverse porros that cost even less than bins like the Brunton Tech Lites

Maybe roof design at the lower price spectrum are more difficult to optimise commercially especially as phase coating (which most low cost roofs seem to be without) must incur additional manufacture cost

We all live and learn along the way on the optics trail !!

Regards
Rich

Robert Ellis said:
Rich,
No problems with my new 820s as of yet. I do admit that the 804 seems better built, but I have grown fond of the ED glass. In case you are interested my 804s are still for sale. I almost had both pairs ripped apart and the ED glass put into the older pair, but I decided the 82os were beefy enough.

Hi again Robert

Thanks for the reply
Your confirmation of the 820's being ok is somewhat of a re-assurance so i will await my hols and pass on your kind offer of the 804 bins but thanks anyway
I think the newer model has a slight closer focus ability and "pop up" eyecups which may be the key to "seeing most of or all of the splendid field for me)
I was bought Nikon SE's by wife last year and though they are optically really excellent i still struggle on occasion with eye placement and blackout which is an issue when the total field is 6 degrees to begin with (and i am not a spectacle wearer)
I just think the Swift's i looked thru although a little softer at say 75-80% out were v comfortable on the eyes and the 8.5 mag wobbles less i think being able to pick up birds on the peripheries even when not totally sharp is sometimes beneficial especially out on landscape viewing etc
That said the SE always still impress me when i pick em up and look what you see at 6 degrees is pretty much sharp to the edge

I suppose every binocular is a set of "gains and losses) one way or another

Regards
Rich

richt said:
Atomic Chicken said:
richt,

Hi again Bawko

Thanks for the clarification reply (and yes i think we both suffered an attack of verbal overload in the original conversation its easy to get carried away !)
I take your point ref the Brunton's actually and having looked again with them today must admit they are a decent "low cost" easy carry daylight option
Anyway your summary was interesting and informative well worth a read
I am still however frankly staggered at the performance of basic reverse porros that cost even less than bins like the Brunton Tech Lites

Maybe roof design at the lower price spectrum are more difficult to optimise commercially especially as phase coating (which most low cost roofs seem to be without) must incur additional manufacture cost

We all live and learn along the way on the optics trail !!

Regards
Rich

Rich: As you suggest, roof prism bins are far more costly to make than equivalent porros. The phase coating adds to the price, and the prisms require tighter tolerances. Also they tend to have better quality mechanics. I've been meaning to do a side by side comparison of an inverted porro with my Zeiss and Swaro compacts as I am very curious to see whether a cheap porro bin can holds its head above the water. (You can see that I spend too much time reading optics reviews as I now consider binoculars to have heads, and presumably personalities. At least I don't talk to my bins. Yet.) Sadly the comparative reviews I have seen (in UK magazines) are for the most part uninformative as they do not critically compare brightness, contrast etc.

Atomic Chukky's interesting review did not mention one key aspect which is size. My 8x20 compact roof prism bins are readily pocketable whereas I'm not so sure the Brunton is due to the larger objectives.

Leif

Leif said:
Rich: As you suggest, roof prism bins are far more costly to make than equivalent porros. The phase coating adds to the price, and the prisms require tighter tolerances. Also they tend to have better quality mechanics. I've been meaning to do a side by side comparison of an inverted porro with my Zeiss and Swaro compacts as I am very curious to see whether a cheap porro bin can holds its head above the water. (You can see that I spend too much time reading optics reviews as I now consider binoculars to have heads, and presumably personalities. At least I don't talk to my bins. Yet.) Sadly the comparative reviews I have seen (in UK magazines) are for the most part uninformative as they do not critically compare brightness, contrast etc.

Atomic Chukky's interesting review did not mention one key aspect which is size. My 8x20 compact roof prism bins are readily pocketable whereas I'm not so sure the Brunton is due to the larger objectives.

Leif

Hi Leif

Thanks for the info i can understand the cost factor issue on design builds a bit better now
It would be very interesting for a forum member like yourself with more comparitive experience to do the inverted porro/roof test
By the way i dont think you are alone in regarding binoculars as having personalities !! amusing and wonderful comments on the forum i have seen to date might suggest that some members regard their bins practically as "next of kin "

PS
I recently spent time and cleaned my Zeiss Jena's (10 x 50) with your "cleaning method" all went well and they are functioning very nicely
Still one of my favourite wide angle binoculars and definitely possess some character

Regards
Rich

Leif said:

Leif,

Yes - I forgot to mention this in the review. With respect to size, the Bruntons definitely are pocketable - but just barely. I have slipped them into my shirt pocket several times, and every time I have to guide them carefully - they ALMOST don't fit. I have no problem at all fitting them into my jacket pockets, however.

One other factor I forgot to mention is the CA of the Bruntons. They exhibit a bit more CA than the Zeiss 8x20's, probably about the same level as Nikon HG 8x32... maybe slightly more. This is not normally as distracting for me as it is for some people (although I can easily see even the slightest levels of CA)... and I find the Brunton's level of CA to be acceptable.

I'm still using these quite a bit, getting to know their "character". The best thing I can say about them is the wonderful ergonomic design - I wish I could buy identically packaged binoculars with something like Ultravid or Zeiss FL optics inside! ;)

Best wishes,
Bawko

Greetings!

An update:

I was at a different optics shop today, and found that the Brunton "Lite-Tech" 8x25 I did this review on has been replaced by a new model - the Brunton "Echo" 8x25.

Examining both very carefully, I found that everything is identical except for the eyecups and diopter adjustment. The fold-down rubber eyecups on the Lite-Tech have been replaced by a helicoid type twist-out eyecup, and the diopter adjust (which was formerly the entire right eyepiece) has been replaced by a non-locking (but EXTREMELY stiff) serated adjustment ring below the right eyecup.

All published optical specifications are identical between the two models, and after spending 10 minutes comparing my purchased pair to the new model I have verified that the optics are completely identical. Even the focus wheel and rubber armor is patterned identically, although the newer "Echo" model has slightly deeper "roughness" in the textured areas of the armor.

Since it's only been a few days since my purchase, I'm thinking of obtaining a refund on my original "Lite-Tech" and buying the newer model from the different dealer. Brunton has fixed my only complaint (the eyecups) on the "Echo" and also improved the stiffness of the diopter adjust to the point that it is now virtually impossible for it to ever be jarred out of alignment. The price is identical between the two models, making the new version even more of an excellent value!

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

An update:

I was at a different optics shop today, and found that the Brunton "Lite-Tech" 8x25 I did this review on has been replaced by a new model - the Brunton "Echo" 8x25.

Bawko
Hello Bawko
How much did the new ones cost?

I have finally found a picture of one and it looks as these are the same familiy of bins as the EO Rangers and Celestron Nobles, only with wee objectives and a wide angle eyepiece. This would explain the ridiculously fast focus mechanism.

Greetings!

Marcus: The new "Echo" model costs the same as the old model - $99 here locally (which means you can probably find them for around $79 on the net).

Robert: Yes - I also noticed the similarity between the body style of the Celestron Noble, but since I could not find a Celestron Noble in 8x25 configuration, I assumed it was just a coincidence. Do you think they might be from the same manufacturing plant somewhere in Asia?

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

Marcus: The new "Echo" model costs the same as the old model - $99 here locally (which means you can probably find them for around $79 on the net).
Bawko
Thanks Bawko. I'll 'look' around.

Atomic Chicken said:
Greetings!

Robert: Yes - I also noticed the similarity between the body style of the Celestron Noble, but since I could not find a Celestron Noble in 8x25 configuration, I assumed it was just a coincidence. Do you think they might be from the same manufacturing plant somewhere in Asia?

Best wishes,
Bawko

I do not think this, I know this. I spent most of the winter investigating the industry regarding badge engineering.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back