• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone help me identify a night-singing bird--not a nightingale? (1 Viewer)

Purple Heron

Around Dadia and the Prespa Lakes in northern Greece this past spring, we kept hearing a small bird that sang at night but not (usually) in the daytime.
It wasn't a nightingale--we heard lots of those and know the song well.

This bird has a light, silvery voice that carries quite far. It sings in series of four notes, dropping down the scale:
Ta, ta, ta, ta
Ta, ta, ta, ta,
Ta, ta, ta, ta
Ta, ta, ta, ta and then ends with another series of notes and a phrase that sounds like "birdy, birdy, birdy."

It's hard to describe birdsong--I'd know it at once if I heard it.
Because we almost always heard it at night, we couldn't work out what t was. Then one morning we heard it and saw the bird singing--it looked like a cirl bunting from behind, but it couldn't have been--cirl buntings just do a trill. We also saw a rock bunting in the area. I found some clips of rock buntings singing and while they do have a silvery light voice, the song recorded wasn't the song I heard. Do rock buntings sing at night?

If it can't be a cirl bunting or a rock bunting, does anyone have any idea what it might be? Except for night and early morning (the latter only at Prespa) we never heard the song during the day.

.... night but not (usually) in the daytime.
It wasn't a nightingale--we heard lots of those and know the song well.

This bird has a light, silvery voice that carries quite far. It sings in series of four notes, dropping down the scale:
Ta, ta, ta, ta
Ta, ta, ta, ta,
Ta, ta, ta, ta
Ta, ta, ta, ta and then ends with another series of notes and a phrase that sounds like "birdy, birdy, birdy."

Agree with Woodlark - all fits :t:

Thanks, guys, but woodlark isn't it (nice song, though, and xeno-canto is a great site) . Not a black redstart, either--they're winter birds here.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back