• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ACDsee, image sharpening and unsharp mask. (1 Viewer)

felthad

Otis
Did some editing on my photos by trial and error. I not sure what I'm doing yet and probably not using it wisely (just going for what "appears to look nice"). Is there some people who dont edit much at all?
I need advice on doing shapening on a picture I use ACDsee. How does sharpening control differ from unsharp mask, is it a good idea to use both? or is one auto and the other more manual?
Is sharpening only to be used in moderation because it can make a picture look cold (unreal). If an image is slightly out of focus over shapening it wont make it better? what should be looked for in judging when and how much to use.
I mainly dont understand how to utilize my unsharp mask. There are setting described on the web for photoshop with set numbers for radius, threshold ect. Yet I cant try them out in ACDsee because the values are input by sliders that dont specify any numbers.

Sharpening is a very difficult subject. What looks good is a personal judgement call. Some people simply prefer a different look to their photos. I recommend doing some reading ... you can start with this web article: http://ronbigelow.com/articles/sharpen1/sharpen1.htm

Some basic info:
Sharpening should be applied as the last step prior to final output of an image - be it to a printer or the web.
Sharpening values should be different for every photo - there are no set values that work for every photographic scene and every print size.
There is no free lunch - you have to pay for your sharpening in the form of increased visibility of ISO noise.

The fun part of digital is you can play with it and then discard your changes and try again until you get it like you want it. ENJOY!

okay will read the article. I have been experimenting with new photos and reading ACDsee helpfiles so getting more the hang of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back