• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with an iPhone 4s and Phone Skope Adapter (1 Viewer)

timshrek

I just wanted to share my review of an iPhone 4s digiscoping adapter from Phone Skope.

Phone Skope’s C-1 iPhone 4s Case undoubtedly trumps the C-2 Universal Setup I used previously with a Samsung Stratosphere. The adapter essentially acts as a case for the iPhone and is made out of Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) plastic. The case is slender and fits inside your pocket, which makes it convenient to carry.

I use Phone Skope’s C-3 Custom Optic Adapter to attach the C-1 iPhone 4s Case to my Celestron Regal 80 F-ED Spotting Scope. The C-3 is designed to fit specific spotting scopes or binoculars. The C-3 locks into the C-1 case giving you a complete iPhone digiscoping setup. The C-3/C-1 connection is snug, allowing no play in the adapter.

I really like the Phone Skope setup. It makes digiscoping easy, fun, and more enjoyable. Prior to my acquisition of the Phone Skope case, I held my phone up to the scope (hand-held), which resulted in blurry photos at awkward angles. Now, I can take high quality videos and photos without even touching the screen. My iPhone sets nicely on the scope and vignetting is minimal, which seems to be a problem with some digiscoping adapters. After reading the iPhone Digiscoping Pro Tip from Drew at NemesisBird.com and the Digiscoping with an iPhone Tip from Sharon at Birdchick.com, I have been able to slam quite a few birds with my iPhonescoping setup. Check out those Pro Tips and you will not be disappointed.

I also have the setup for my binoculars. The setup works well, but is somewhat difficult to hold steady. I find that using the video option on the iPhone works best when using the binocular setup.

With the iPhone setup, I have been able to document rare birds, nesting behavior, and just downright cool sightings. Be sure to check out www.phoneskope.com if you’re interested in digiscoping with your smart phone. They can make an adapter for most smart phone/optics combinations.

Check out this link for photos of the setup and links to the Pro Tips: http://www.thermalbirding.com/2013/06/review-phone-skope-c-1-iphone-4s-case/

Cheers,

Tim Schreckengost
Blythe, CA
thermalbirding.com

I just purchased a phoneskope to use with my iphone4s and Swarovski ATX. It was the only compact adapter I could find to fit the ATX eyepiece. The fit is perfect.

But they are a stupid price for a bit of plastic £39 for case and £24 for an adaptor in UK. but I assume there is no cheaper alternative.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back