• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Triller ? (1 Viewer)

MountainMan

Hi to all. Got two images to query.. the first is a triller. I suspect that it is a juvenile Varied Triller due to the faint barrings on the armpits. But cannot exclude a juvenile White-winged triller either. Can anyone share inputs with me on this? Thanks

The second bird is still yet identified. I suspect it is another juvenile triller but is not sure. Thanks again

Attachments

• _MG_5480-Triller-060107.jpg
    _MG_5480-Triller-060107.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 82
  • _MG_1381-Bird-040906.jpg
    _MG_1381-Bird-040906.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 66
MountainMan said:
Hi to all. Got two images to query.. the first is a triller. I suspect that it is a juvenile Varied Triller due to the faint barrings on the armpits. But cannot exclude a juvenile White-winged triller either. Can anyone share inputs with me on this? Thanks

The second bird is still yet identified. I suspect it is another juvenile triller but is not sure. Thanks again

Hi Eric,

An interesting couple of birds! Where did you photograph them, and in what habitat?
I think they are both Lalage trillers, the first looks like a male Varied with the supercilium however the large white wing-patch seems to recall White-winged (I'm writing this at work, without literature.)

I think the second is probably a White-winged female.

Tom

Tom Tarrant said:
Hi Eric,

An interesting couple of birds! Where did you photograph them, and in what habitat?
I think they are both Lalage trillers, the first looks like a male Varied with the supercilium however the large white wing-patch seems to recall White-winged (I'm writing this at work, without literature.)

I think the second is probably a White-winged female.

Tom

The first image was taken at Fitzroy Crossing, at an open patch of lightly forested shrub land. The second was taken in Central Australia bushland near Alice Springs.

MM

Hi Eric
Hope you are enjoying Derby

I think they are both White-winged Triller.
The black&white bird could be moulting into/out of breeding plumage and has a hint of the eyebrow from non-breeding plumage. The white in the wing looks right for WWTriller too. I'm not sure how far west the Varied Triller goes - but it is a chunkier bird and has a yellow/orange vent. Do you have a photo showing its vent?

The brown bird I think is a female WW Triller - the faint hint of barring on the sides of the chest looks good.

Cheers
Mat

Thank you Mat for your response. Derby, and the West Kimberley been good birding. Have been to the Broome Bird Observatory a few times already, but the Wet seems to curtail my birding activities a fair bit due to inaccessibility. One of the best places around Derby is the Myroodah Crossing. Fitzroy Crossing is also excellent. Looks like the Fitzroy River is a goldmine for birds, in which the famous Mornington Sanctuary is along located along.

Eric

Mat & Cathy said:
Hi Eric
Hope you are enjoying Derby

I think they are both White-winged Triller.
The black&white bird could be moulting into/out of breeding plumage and has a hint of the eyebrow from non-breeding plumage. The white in the wing looks right for WWTriller too. I'm not sure how far west the Varied Triller goes - but it is a chunkier bird and has a yellow/orange vent. Do you have a photo showing its vent?

The brown bird I think is a female WW Triller - the faint hint of barring on the sides of the chest looks good.

Cheers
Mat

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back