• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 12x32 and Selecting Binoculars (1 Viewer)

AlanFrench

The Canon 12x36 IS II has been my main birding binocular for more than 16 years, having replaced a 7x42. My one dislike is their poor close focus, so the new 12x32 caught my eye. They got serious attention with the recent pricing.

I've always embraced "Try before you buy," but the local camera store stopped carrying Canon. I ordered a pair, determined to return them if necessary. After using them extensively for the last week, I am impressed and they will stay.

They are fatter than the 12x36, but the rounded surfaces with an indented notch just past the top make them easy to hold. The first two fingers on my right hand can comfortably sit on the two IS buttons, but that could be a problem with larger hands. I wear glasses and leave the eyecups folded down. When down I like them better than the eyecups on the 12x36. But when up, they are indeed terrible, as many have reported.

(Continued in next post) Clear skies, Alan

Last edited:
Focusing is smooth and precise. As expected, I really appreciate their excellent close focus. I can enjoy detailed views of birds in my heated bird bath, about 8 feet away. And no more worries about missing a bird because I had to back away to get proper focus.

The optics are impressive and the IS works very well. There is no hesitation and it works consistently. It seems a little more effective than the IS on my 12x36 IIs. The only chromatic aberration I see is the expected lateral color near the edge of the field, with edges near the field stop rimmed with green and those away from the field stop bluish/purple. Otherwise images are free of extraneous color.

Reviews of binoculars are often mixed and I've been disappointed in two that got consistently high marks. If a binocular piques your interest, try it in person. It's the only way you'll know whether it's right for you!

Clear skies, Alan

Last edited:

Reviews of binoculars are often mixed and I've been disappointed in two that got consistently high marks. If a binocular piques your interest, try it in person. It's the only way you'll know whether it's right for you!

Clear skies, Alan

Couldn‘t agree more!
Canip

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'm glad that you're pleased with your purchase. I recently made the same purchase and have owned the 12x32's for about a week. I'll be posting my thoughts/impressions when I have some time.

I currently own the 10x30II and 10x42WP and so far my impression of the 12x32 is overall, very favorable. I'm actually eager to talk about them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back