• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bubbler Fountain Question; (Ruby Throated) (1 Viewer)

Robert11

Hi,

Live outside of Boston.
Lots of Ruby throated Hummers at our nectar bird feeder.

Put up a solar powered bubbler fountain in a popular spot on our Deck last summer.

But, none would use it.
Really surprised; thought they would love it in the hot summer.

All the YouTube videos showing them loving it and having a ball.
So, something fundamentally wrong with our setup.
Can't imagine what; pretty basic arrangement.

Two questions, please:

a. Do these fountain bubblers use just plain water, or are they ever run
with nectar instead ?

b. it was suggested that perhaps the reason they did not like it was that the water flow bubbling up in the center was not constant.
Solar powered gizmo, so wold run for 20 seconds, be off for 5 seconds, resume, etc.

Does this make any sense as to a possible reason ?

Other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi. I’m new here. I know this post is from May but hopefully by now you’ve figured out how to get the hummingbirds to bathe at your fountain. If you did please let me know what you did different. I am having the same issue. Only the Blue Jays and finches are bathing and drinking from the bubbler fountain. I think it has to do with the depth of it. I m going to buy a shallow one and see if it works.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back