• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch HG 10x25 - really. (1 Viewer)

crinklystarfish

Ireland
I really like the 10x30 format and have tried just about every 10x30 available; all come up short.

The least-worst option, for me anyway, is the Nikon Monarch HG 10x30.

But, I find errant light control really puts a dampener on things. Following fairly random efforts to try to improve things I modified a few parts and am now habitually using the binocular as something of a 10x25. The combination of extending the objective lens shrouding and reducing the objective aperture to 25mm - for me, anyway - improves both diffuse-light veiling glare and near-sun flare. The results aren’t earth-shattering, but there is an improvement.

Only in very low light is the image perceptibly darker.

If you like the MHG but are irritated by poor errant light control, it might be worth experimenting.

The images depict:

1. A cut down standard MHG tethered objective lens cover - this is basically just to help with cosmetics, but improves ergonomics, too.
2. A bespoke, 3-D printed, objective-lens aperture insert.
3. A slightly modified Nikon 10x35 EII eyecup rubber (opened out from about 22mm to 25mm).
4. The above two pieces fitted together (the 3-D printed piece mimics the ‘mounting dimensions’ of the 10x35 EII eyepiece).
5. One standard MHG tethered objective lens cover in place and one assembled extension interference-fitted in place.

Everything fits nice and securely but is demountable if required. It looks OK, is largely all-Nikon and not only helps with light control but keeps a good deal of rain / drizzle off the objective lenses, too.

The mod may or may not appeal, just sharing for interest’s sake.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 60
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 129
Because you like the 10x30 format I would suggest you try the Zeiss Victory FL 10x32 (not much larger than many 30mm's). I have tried quite a few 10x32s, including the SV and EDG, and imo the FL was the best performer.

To be honest the glare / flare / poor control of errant light problem is unfortunately something that I readily 'see' in many, many bins - notwithstanding price of format.

Staying with 10x30 rather than 10x32: I discounted the 'old' Swaro 10x30 Companion because it was just plain poor, and the 'new' Swaro CL Companion because it wasn't (for me) as sharp as the MHG. I also found it had poor light transmission (darker than the stopped-down MHG), it was poor at controlling near-sun flare, the FoV isn't great and I found the ergonomics poor (thanks to those thumb indents).

I had a look at the Carson stuff (thanks for the earlier steer) but it's not for me.

Last edited:
Without commenting on your "solution", and not having used the 10x30 MHG, I will say that I found the same problem with the 8x30 MHG. Indeed they were returned for that very reason. I subsequently bought 8x42 MHGs and they are MUCH better and these are my preferred birding bin these days.

At the time I had the 8x30 MHGs, I A-B'd them against Zeiss 8x25 Pocket Victorys. The Zeiss controlled stray light significantly better than the Nikons. I mention this as you are using the Nikons effectively as 10x25s. Maybe the Zeiss 10x25s will meet with your approval and as a bonus they are even lighter than the 10x30s, if that's important to you.

Edit: Ooops! I now see this is an old thread and my post is of little or no consequence. I'll leave it for (maybe) someone else's edification. Cheers.

I went back to see why I clicked on this thread in the first place and it was the SECOND most current thread in the Nikon sub forum. I suspect there is a glitch with this site as the second most current thread cannot be from June 2020, can it?

Last edited:
Regardless of the age of the thread, I find those comments useful. It's specifically interesting to hear the comments about glare, as that's the one thing that has kept me away from the 30mm MHG's. I had the 8x42 MHG for several months and I was surprised how good they were at controlling glare, most bins in that price class are "good but not great" with glare control but they were REALLY good. An unexpected bonus that is another notch in the cap of what I believe to be the best all around birding optic in that price range.

(and BTW it must be a display glitch, I see plenty of recent threads)

I went back to see why I clicked on this thread in the first place and it was the SECOND most current thread in the Nikon sub forum. I suspect there is a glitch with this site as the second most current thread cannot be from June 2020, can it?
Forgive the question, but did you "go back" to the (still open) tab you originally opened the thread from, or click <-- to reload the Nikon section, in which case your own post would flag the thread as very recent? And if the first, seeing (again) a thread with a last-post date of June in the #2 slot, do you remember anything else odd in the sequence? I ask because I've seen a few confusing things involving dates lately myself and haven't pinned anything down.

Forgive the question, but did you "go back" to the (still open) tab you originally opened the thread from, or click <-- to reload the Nikon section, in which case your own post would flag the thread as very recent? And if the first, seeing (again) a thread with a last-post date of June in the #2 slot, do you remember anything else odd in the sequence? I ask because I've seen a few confusing things involving dates lately myself and haven't pinned anything down.
When I first saw the thread it was cued second from the top in the Nikon sub forum. I looked at the date of the last post before mine and it was from June 2020. Posts after this thread made sense chronologically. This is the odd one out.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back