Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Seeking advice for birding Anchorage, Seward, and Denali

Old Saturday 27th June 2020, 17:58   #1
wary_cassowary
Artist and Amateur Avian Aficionado

Seeking advice for birding Anchorage, Seward, and Denali

Hello! My name is Kylee Wiseman and I am a student, artist, and bird-nerd from Oregon. My dad Sam and I will be traveling to Alaska from July 31 to August 9. Our plan is to rent a motorhome, begin in Anchorage, travel to Seward (for a pelagic trip to see puffin colonies), then up to Denali.

I am wondering if anyone here could give us advice on good birding spots at or en route to these places? I am especially interested in good sites to photograph birds (particularly eagles!). I am a wildlife artist specializing in painting birds, and I'm doing photography so I can get reference pictures to paint from. This year I bought a long lens, and I'm very excited that I finally have the equipment to get quality bird photos!

We’ll have one extra day at the end before we fly home; any recommendations for birding spots within a half-days drive from anywhere along that route?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge of your local patch. If anyone would be willing, we would love it if a local join us to lead us on a little birding expedition! Of course, we would expect to compensate you for your guiding services.

Thank you so much for your time and expertise! I'm a newbie to this forum, but I'm hopeful that someday I can be as helpful as the veteran birders!

Kylee
Old Sunday 28th June 2020, 18:24   #2
wary_cassowary
Artist and Amateur Avian Aficionado

I forgot to mention that I will be strictly following all public health guidelines, including wearing a mask and social distancing during all birding outings. I also will get a COVID test before leaving my state, and will only travel if I have a clean bill of health. Just wanted to clarify!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: