• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebird nesting expert needed (1 Viewer)

spirittoo

Hillyho! ... wellsir ... I bought three bluebird houses from Lowes. I put a pvc 2" connector over the hole to keep out the larger birds and I heard the bluebirds like that tunnel effect. I put them out almost 2 weeks ago.

I have them pointed east on a metal pole. The house is about 6ft on the pole. I have a baffle on the pole. In one of the houses a bird started constructing a nest, but I have seen no sign of further nest building a couple of days later.

What would cause the bird to stop building.:-C

They do not tolerate it if you are close to the nest box so try to tamper your curiosity and don't go near the nest boxes once you see them starting to be used .

Still working

They are still building ... I am seeing twigs on the ground next to the house. The ones on the ground looked too long for the house so I broke them up and put them in there. I hope that was ok. I saw more long twigs near the house later that day. I have two other houses in the yard 30 yards apart is that far enough? Thanks for posting by the way.:t:

Not a bluebird nesting

Wellsir ... it's not a bluebird nesting in one of the house. I'm not sure, but I think it's a wren ... I've never seen them at my feeders, so I am not sure. It's smaller than a bluebird ... about the size of a chickadee? Brown colored feathers.

Do I still have a chance for bluebirds in the other houses? I really don't care if another bird uses them as long as they are being used.
:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back