• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First fledge! (1 Viewer)

charlierocky

Arrived at work yesterday afternoon to find out that the first juvenile had fledged that morning. As usual it had ended up on tera firma greeting the workers as they turned up for work. It then proceeded to make it's way,on foot, around to where some building work is in operation so it was decided to remove it before the builders arrived. A coat was thrown over the bird which was then carefully picked up and taken to a roof top out of harms way and in full view of the falcon from above. There it spent most of the day safely above any interference until it decided to fly again in the evening. It then managed to fly back up the tower some 70mtrs and land on a shelf which was impresive on it,s first day. Ok it did have two attempts at the landing.
I would have been happy for it to have remained there for the night but at some time it flew off the shelf and I could not find where it had gone. My concern then is that it ends up on the floor and is vulnerable to the foxes.
I will keep you posted.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the progress report, very interesting.

Pretty good effort in the end to get back to the tower; but of course it's much easier to fly from a height than get off the ground so I'm with you on being concerned that it may have ended up back on the ground again.

I assume that the second nestling is still in the nest.

Bill

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the progress report, very interesting.

Pretty good effort in the end to get back to the tower; but of course it's much easier to fly from a height than get off the ground so I'm with you on being concerned that it may have ended up back on the ground again.

I assume that the second nestling is still in the nest.

Bill

Yes Bill the other nestling (I have seen at least one more from the ground) is still in the nest but I do not think it will not be there long. A few times I thought it would go yesterday, but no. I sometimes feel that the parent birds have more control of when the juveniles fledge or rather what time, if it's early in the day the parents seem to goad the young out and if it is getting late in the day they seem to just sit nearby very patiently keepng it calm.

Are the parents keeping an eye on the wayward fledgling? I suppose during daylight they can get rid of any fox and night is a little worrying.
Going over to Malham Cove tomorrow with my mate and his son, hopefully we will get to see peregrines there.

Hope all goes well and the fledgling doesn't get predated. Thanks for keeping us up to date, Charlie.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back