• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anything new on the horizon? (1 Viewer)

Kowa seem to take their time introducing new models, they still have the 663 as the medium size current model and that has also years.. A decade in the 883 is not a lot, because not a lot can be improved about the scope.. They (kowa) keep improving coatings and little details in their models as they are available, they did that with the tsn1 and 821 series, making better and deeper coatings and implementing them or improving sealing, and they didn't even bother to announce this or rename the models.. So that decade could have changed or improved the 88 series in a few details to help the aging process, so I think that series is gonna stay for a long time.. To make something worth to launch would have to be in the 100 plus mm, and if you think about the price of their 55 prominar offer, You might realize that this fluorite giant might be a bit much for the new market order.

Sagittarius, don’t ask me how I know, but I’m pretty sure they are working on a larger 88 ;)

Any further update yet? I would hazard a guess at No, not just due to the pandemic and future global economy / recession forecasts. As someone else suggested, the 880 series has a few years left in it with a few tweaks here and there (if needs be).

Have you purchased yet?

Regards.

Hi,
I honestly do not know what a >95mm scope will bring ?
For sure , more weight (and more expensive!).
Honestly again, commercial success for a 100 or 105mm is not guaranted! how many they could sell?

Maybe Swaro could do it (even is there ATX95 version is quite new in regards to other brands) as I think they are much more agressive commercially and tecnically compared to any other premium brands. (also Japanese may not want to take a risk of a low success product and prefered quality & security)
I do not want to offence anyboby here, it is just based on experience (both for Swaro and my loved Japaneses customers & contacts)
Which premium company is behind regarding version age and diameter?: Possibly Leica 82?
Any thought (for the diameter point of view)?

Yves

More resolution, higher mags and more market (and profit?). Swarovski was surprised with the proportion of the X95 sold, that was higher than the X85 or the X65, at least initially.
Kowa, Leica and Nikon are loosing market by not having >=95mm versions of their scopes. Don't think the difference on dimensions and weights of the X95 or Harpia 85 are much significant for their 85 versions.
If Kowa is developing a higher aperture scope it should be >95mm to regain the aperture crown... o:D

More resolution, higher mags and more market (and profit?). Swarovski was surprised with the proportion of the X95 sold, that was higher than the X85 or the X65, at least initially.
Kowa, Leica and Nikon are loosing market by not having >=95mm versions of their scopes. Don't think the difference on dimensions and weights of the X95 or Harpia 85 are much significant for their 85 versions.
If Kowa is developing a higher aperture scope it should be >95mm to regain the aperture crown... o:D

Hi,
I also share some of your point of view to have a scope up to 95mm and in fact Kowa should think about it.
Kowa started to learn a bit with their 880 black edition and particulatly with the neoprene case (prices goes from 70 for a usual cordura to 180€ for teh new one!!!)
In fact Swaro is the winner with the ATX modules as many user bough a 65 module in addition to the 95mm, in addition to an extender, plus a BTX module, ....
(also the ATX interior is great!!!)
Swaro is technically at the top but their communication and marketing is more over excellent!!!! (also a key for success!)

Regards
Yves

Hi,
Kowa started to learn a bit with their 880 black edition and particulatly with the neoprene case (prices goes from 70 for a usual cordura to 180€ for teh new one!!!)
However, I purchased the black edition 883 and I ended up getting a cordura case because the new neoprene one is not so convenient.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back