• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Passion 8x56? (1 Viewer)

lgguy

Has anyone tried the Passion 8x56?

The price is reasonable, $749, FOV is decent-389', they use an AK prism and claim 92% transmission. The weight of 40.9oz is pretty good for an 8x56 also.

One concern is that they use high transmission glass instead of ED which GPO uses in higher end models. Should I be concerned?

Any alternatives I should consider? Minox has an 8x56 at a similar price or I could get a new Zeiss Conquest for $1100 or wait for something used to come up. People rave about the Zeiss 8x56 FL.

Has anyone tried the Passion 8x56?

The price is reasonable, $749, FOV is decent-389', they use an AK prism and claim 92% transmission. The weight of 40.9oz is pretty good for an 8x56 also.

One concern is that they use high transmission glass instead of ED which GPO uses in higher end models. Should I be concerned?

Any alternatives I should consider? Minox has an 8x56 at a similar price or I could get a new Zeiss Conquest for $1100 or wait for something used to come up. People rave about the Zeiss 8x56 FL.
I am curious about it also even though I have the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56. An 8x56 is a great format especially for low light if you can handle the weight. I don't think at 8x the GPO would be too bad for CA without ED glass and 92% transmission is impressive with the AK prism. Here is a review comparing the GPO to a Steiner and the Steiner came out ahead. I am not so sure about the GPO if a Steiner beats it. I am pretty sure at 2x the price the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56 is going to be better than the GPO 8x56. The Conquest HD 8x56 is very close in performance to the 8x56 FL for less money and FL's are getting hard to find in good condition. The big FL has a little less CA on the edge and a slightly bigger FOV but the Conquest HD has less distortion. If you could get a new Zeiss Conquest HD 8x56 for $1100.00 I would go for it. I paid $1200.00 for my new one.

https://huntingbinoculars.net/2019/08/19/gpo-passion-8x56-vs-steiner-ranger-8x56/

Last edited:
I see GPO is selling a demo for $559, quite tempting.
https://gpo-usa.myshopify.com/produ...lack-ser-41803163?_pos=1&_sid=fde7ee16a&_ss=r

I'm sure I'd never regret getting the Conquest HD though.
I think you might be sorry with the GPO. But you could return them if you don't like them. It worries me that a Steiner beat it in the review. A Steiner! I have 12 binoculars and the on-axis view of my Conquest HD 8x56 is probably the best of any of them and I have quite a few alpha's including 8x42 FL's and EDG's. Aperture rules!

Last edited:
Amazon had a very good deal on the SLC 8x56 so I decided to give that a try. They've got the Conquest HD for $1065, almost ordered both to compare.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back