• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon E 8x30 WFC Repairs (1 Viewer)

Bandit65

Hi

I just got a set of these off an auction site. Great binos but a little disappointed that the focus wheel is broken in one part. It was evident in one of the last photos on the listing but not very clear until zoomed in. The description said “excellent working and cosmetic condition with no cracks”

Anyway, I’m in comms with the seller about it but what some advice is on how to get the focus wheel replaced. I love the binos but not sure there will be parts for them available. I’m invested, including shipping, $300CAD (170GBP/200EURO)

That’s the first question. The second is that I also have a pair of Zeiss Jena Deltrintum 8x30 1989 which I also love. The focus wheel is a little stiff and means that although I have great DOF and FOV I spend too much time messing with it and not enough time on the birds. How difficult is it to ease it up by a professional?

I love using vintage bins - I have 7x35 8* Bushnell Custom as well and love them. I also have modern optics consisting of Vortex Viper (2018) HD 10x42, Opticron HR WP 8x42 and Nikon Prostaff 7S 8x30.

I’m upgrading my 8x42s this year to either MHG, Conquest HD or Leica Trinovid and have been reading all of your reviews so thanks for that.

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
Can you send them back for a full refund? Parts like the focus wheel will require another doner for even more money. These come up often on the bay, make sure to get the one that looks like this one. Check out the article also.

Regarding repairs check Suddarth Optical

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Nikon8x30E.htm

Andy W.

I will see, but I really don’t want to lose them, other than the focus wheel they are beauty!! Thanks for the referral to Suddarth, will check it out. The article was really useful in me deciding to get these in the first place👍🏻

Hi Chris,

A couple of suggestions:

A) You could try repairing the Nikon. The focus wheel is plastic, and I saw somewhere where one that had a chunk missing, was fixed by building up the missing material with epoxy
. . . so if your handy

B) However . . .
the 8x30’s are the most common of the E series, see my post here: https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3895219&postcount=10

As there’s always going to be more on the market - and as you’re willing to pay for one in top condition - that's what you should get
You’ll be happier in the long run

I too have a lot of affection for the 8x30 E. As a second hand product it's great value for money, and for me it works far better than it’s successor the 8x30 E II!
(Blasphemy! Heresy! Get a rope! Start the bonfire!)
- for me it provides a perfectly relaxed 145 m FOV, rather than a constantly uncomfortable 154 m one

John

Hi

That’s the first question. The second is that I also have a pair of Zeiss Jena Deltrintum 8x30 1989 which I also love. The focus wheel is a little stiff and means that although I have great DOF and FOV I spend too much time messing with it and not enough time on the birds. How difficult is it to ease it up by a professional?

Cheers
Chris

Chris, it's not that difficult to do yourself.
Take off the IPD scale. Partially unscrew the tiny grub screw that looks the large screw that holds the two eyepiece arms in place.
Remove both eyepiece arms complete with eyepieces. there's no need to undo any of those bits. Note the gap between the focus wheel and the body.
Unscrew the focus wheel. Remove the circlip at the bottom of the focus shaft and separate the focus shaft from the focus wheel. Clean off the old grease and regrease and reassemble. Screw the focus wheel back into the body so that the gap is much the same as before. Replace the arms, the large screw and secure with the grub screw. Replace the IPD disc.

Regards Richard. (The Binocular man in The Repair Shop BBC TV)

Thanks John, I’ve never tried the Ell but I know I love this one. I’ll see what response I get from the seller and go from there. Says no returns on the post but eBay will give some protection. May have a go myself, to be fair, these were the cheapest of the multicoated options, loads of the single coated ones were more expensive as well. May have a go at the epoxy thing. Even if I had to return the item I’m going to be out of pocket even further and I’m not wanting to spend further into this. We have an optics retailer and repair here in Vancouver that the local bird forum highly recommend so I may take it in there. As it’s plastic (why would they use plastic on such a high end binocular!!!) it may be a 3D printer could produce it. My Deltrintums from the same era, although not comparable in optical quality, their build quality is superb, as are a couple of pairs of 7x35s from Japan that I own.
My two cents: Unless eBay Canada is different than US, just hit the return item button on this pair and you will get a 100% refund including all shipping. No reason to accept broken parts. The Deltrintems are worthy of a clean and lube repair, and are probably overdue for such.

For those interested, Richard (post #8) is Richard Biggs of Action Optics

In early 2019, Lee interviewed him about repairing binoculars: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3818528
There is a number of interesting observations, including common faults that occur in Porro and roof prism binoculars

And a 2 minute clip from the BBC The Repair Shop (showing the 'before' part of the restoration process), featuring Richard with a pair of German WWII U-boat binoculars,
can be seen at: https://twitter.com/therepairshop/status/1123553866430275584

John

My two cents: Unless eBay Canada is different than US, just hit the return item button on this pair and you will get a 100% refund including all shipping. No reason to accept broken parts. The Deltrintems are worthy of a clean and lube repair, and are probably overdue for such.

Thanks John, I’m in discussion with the seller. I’m getting a quote from the optics repairer here and if it’s doable, even with a non OEM option, 3 D printer etc. I will put it to the seller. I have actually seen the same problem on other Nikon E models and am staggered that there is such a glaring weakness in the construction. If I can get a non OEM solution, I’m quite happy to do so as functionality is more important than - I want to use them not collect them. I’ll get them to do the lube and clean on the Deltrintums as well- cosmetically morning as good but functionally sound.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back