• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sea Aster Portugal? (1 Viewer)

Certainly not a sea-aster- don't think any have flowers like this. Don't suppose you have photos that show some foliage? I feel it might be Pallenis martitma.

Certainly not a sea-aster- don't think any have flowers like this. Don't suppose you have photos that show some foliage? I feel it might be Pallenis martitma.

It's a complicated group.
Pallenis maritima does not occur in Portugal (only Pallenis spinosa, which is considerably different).
In my opinion this is genus Calendula, apparently Calendula arvensis (I think the English name is Field Marigold). The other option is Calendula suffruticosa, but I think C. arvensis is a better fit.
See here: https://flora-on.pt/#/1Calendula+arvensis

NOTE: Pallenis maritima is now Asteriscus maritimus, which does occur in SW Portugal, but still not a fit.

Last edited:
It's a complicated group.
Pallenis maritima does not occur in Portugal (only Pallenis spinosa, which is considerably different).
In my opinion this is genus Calendula, apparently Calendula arvensis (I think the English name is Field Marigold). The other option is Calendula suffruticosa, but I think C. arvensis is a better fit.
See here: https://flora-on.pt/#/1Calendula+arvensis

NOTE: Pallenis maritima is now Asteriscus maritimus, which does occur in SW Portugal, but still not a fit.

The nomenclature around Pallenis maritima seems confused as the international Plant List gives Asteriscus as a synonym of P. maritima as does the 2016 Kew publication of the Wild Flowers of the Western Mediterranean. Are you saying it has very recently changed back again then?

The nomenclature around Pallenis maritima seems confused as the international Plant List gives Asteriscus as a synonym of P. maritima as does the 2016 Kew publication of the Wild Flowers of the Western Mediterranean. Are you saying it has very recently changed back again then?

Ah yes, I entirely forgot that each country follows a different authority in what regards plant taxonomy. This classification I mentioned is the one followed in Portugal, but I'm not sure about the rationale behind it (the flora online follows the "Checklist da Flora de Portugal (2010)", which in turn I don't know what is following...). At least we can still understand that it's the same plant, so not a big deal. The flora-online went back on other decisions as well, such as Inula viscosa, that went back again to Dittrichia viscosa. Still a very handy resource though (they have links to the online text of the Iberian Flora for many species too).

Oh ... I thought Pallenis martitma occurred in Southern Portugal. I also thought one of the common names for it was Sea Aster. Shows how much I know! 8-P

Oh ... I thought Pallenis martitma occurred in Southern Portugal. I also thought one of the common names for it was Sea Aster. Shows how much I know! 8-P
Yes, Pallenis maritima (note the spelling) occurs in Portugal (Southwest of the country), it just shows up with a different name in the flora-online website (Asteriscus maritimus), sorry for creating some confusion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back