• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Important Please Object (1 Viewer)

brodie

Admin please dont delete i know it was in another thread but it got overtaken witha different issue .It is very important

The Isle Of Skye wind farm is up for objection now.

We need as many objections as we can get and since the contractors are being investigated by the police for possible fraud concerning the last bird report they did on this wind farm now is the time to show the councils and goverment we wont stand for killing of these birds.

The contractor won't use ornithologists from the island because they know what is really up there.

You can object by email to john.rennilson 'at' highland.gov.uk

I have attached a standard objection

When you email your objections can you please send a note to tell me you have sent one saveskye AT gmail.com

IN the subject heading please put Proposed Construction of Wind Farm at Edinbane, Isle of Skye – Planning Ref: 02/00089/FULSL

Attachments

• AMECObjection19May06no2.doc
    32 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Hi Brodie-could you provide some specifics to object against please.
I have looked at the SWAG website-they don't seem to have a standard protest text either.
Thanks
Colin

Tyke said:
I have looked at the SWAG website-they don't seem to have a standard protest text either.
Thanks

Colin

Yes I agree, more information and a standard letter of protest stating what we are protesting about would be most useful.

nirofo.

Tyke said:
Thanks
Colin

Hi Sorry for the late reply we are in the process of doing a larger bird protest letter it takes a long time with the things people miss out we did'nt get the eia amendment disc until late if anybody wants me to send over the bird data so they can look for themselves that is not a problem

There is a standard protest letter on the swag site but we will be doing a larger bird objection but the other objection via download does mention a little bit about the birds in it of which i have attached it just needs signing and an address on it.

Attachments

• AMECObjection19May06no2.doc
    32 KB · Views: 119
Thanks Brodie-sent that text.
When you have your "bird" objections text please post it & will send that too.
Colin

Reasons why we need your support on the isle of skye

PLease Read this it was sent to me by a local ornithlogist on skye after reading the EIA and him doing a survey up there

Ornithological Organisations

Planning approval was granted for a 27-turbine development by the construction group AMEC in November 2002, despite this company producing an extremely poor and possibly illegal environmental impact assessment.

Following the successful lodging of a complaint to Europe, approval was effectively rescinded in May 2005 in order that AMEC could provide additional bird data and a peat slide stability report. Scottish Natural Heritage stated that if the predicted eagle mortality rate could be kept to 0.6 eagles a year they were confident that the wind farm would neither affect the wider population of eagles on Skye or the Cuillins SPA. However, it should be noted that the RDC (Ben Aketil site), which is adjacent to where AMEC wish to have a wind farm, was approved in September 2005. The close proximity of both sites effectively makes them a single site.

AMEC has now produced extra material contained within an Addendum to the original E.I.A. However, a local ornithologist has been monitoring the area as part of a larger raptor work-study area.
1. The site remains nationally and regionally important for high-risk species of raptors, which are afforded special protection. The SEA Directive 2001/42/EC supports the position that development should avoid areas with a high density of raptor activity, especially core areas of individual breeding ranges (Drewitt and Langstone (2006)
2. Field work in 2006 indicates the following:
• Golden eagle – The Edinbane/Ben Aketil Wind farm sites are now the core habitat of a territorial pair
• White tailed eagle – extensive and increasing use of the area by this species. Most significant observation of 7 different birds thermalling over the site, birds being observed in the area for a period of 2 hours. Strongly contrasts with the findings of Natural Research in the Addendum, which reports only 41 minutes of WTE activity in their August – December observations. Because of expanding WTE population, much work is required to understand the potential implications for this high-risk species.
• Hen Harrier – 9 territories within 5.6km of the site, 1% of UK population and therefore sufficient to qualify as an SPA.
• Merlin – 6 merlin territories within 3km of the nearest turbines representing the highest known breeding density of this species on Skye and Lochalsh

The Addendum
The information contained within the above appears confusing and in places unsubstantiated by raw data.
1. The collision risk rate has been calculated using data collected by the ornithologist Simon Lawrence between February and August 2005, whose previous work at Edinbane was severely castigated by RSPB. Natural Research between August and December 2005 carried out additional work.
2. The Lawrence data indicates an estimated annual mortality rate of 0.447 eagles per year, whilst Natural Research predicts an annual mortality rate of 0.641 eagles per year, 43% higher than the calculations of Lawrence. It would have been expected that a higher level of activity on the site between the months of March to May would have been recorded in line with the findings of local observers. The major discrepancy between the two sets of data has resulted in a major skew, thus reducing the predicted collision risk.
3. No data appears to have been collected for January. However, the estimated collision risk calculated over 12 months is based on only 11 months figures and is therefore probably artificially reducing the estimated collision risk.
4. In 2005, the British Trust for Ornithology was commissioned by English Nature to carry out an assessment of the SNH 'Band' model. They found it had serious flaws especially concerning collision risk and recommended it should not be used until further work was carried out.
5. The collision risk assessment is based on a 98% avoidance factor, a higher figure than Scottish Natural Heritage seems to have used for any other wind farm site in Scotland.
6. AMEC has reduced turbine numbers from 27 to 19 in order to achieve the required collision rate of 0.6 eagles per year. However, no individual turbine risk has been calculated and the turbines on the top of the ridge with the highest risk remain.
7. In conclusion, it would appear that efforts have been made to artificially reduce the collision risk rate for golden eagles to comply with the requirements of Scottish Natural Heritage. However, the required 0.6 annual mortality rate would result in 15 eagle deaths over the 25 year expected life of the development, with an installed capacity of just 25MW. This is likely to result in the highest attrition rate in Scotland. It has also been established that the WTE is vulnerable to blade strike, as has been established in Smola in Norway and Brandenburg in Germany. It is also believed that there is no other wind farm in the UK with such a high density of hen harriers in such close proximity to wind turbines.

Last edited:
Its bloody criminal !-& all for 8MW of output-thats what you get when you throw megabucks at these vandals.
I suppose anyone who has followed Mark Duchamp's warnings on this shouldn't be surprised.

Brodie -is a protest text being put together incorporating this?

Colin

Last edited:
Yes we will be doing a protest objection about this but it will take a few days.

Everything has come in at once,meanwhile feel free to make your own objections using this as these are the facts unlike some people would have us believe.

We need as many bird people behind us as possible to make a point where else is this type of thing going on tell everyone who has a love of birds.

This has to stop,This is not just 8MW we are talking about here if they get this one they will just fill in all the other ridges and hills and land surrounding this one we are talking mega money.

Last edited:
Come on people you have read the report on what they are trying to do if we dont get your support now and they get away with this they will continue to do it anywhere they want.

You might agree with windfarms you might not but you must agree it is wrong the way they are changing data.

The only way to stop is to do something about it

brodie said:
Come on people you have read the report on what they are trying to do if we dont get your support now and they get away with this they will continue to do it anywhere they want.

You might agree with windfarms you might not but you must agree it is wrong the way they are changing data.

The only way to stop is to do something about it

Probably got missed amongst today's menu of 'say hellos' and smutty jokes.

Or perhaps the windfarm brigade are so in awe of Attenborough that...

Canada Lends Support

Brodie,

I have sent the following letter in support of your cause:

Mr J. D. Rennilson
Director of Planning and Development
The Highland Council
Glenurquhart Road
Inverness IV3 5NX

Dear Mr Rennilson:

RE: Proposed Construction of Wind Farm at Edinbane, Isle of Skye – Planning Ref: 02/00089/FULSL

The controversy surrounding the above-referenced proposed wind farm is being discussed around the world by many who view the proposal as questionable. And, we are aware that many formal objections are being lodged with you on many grounds.

To add my voice to this debate, I would encourage you to reconsider this project, and not allow the establishment of a wind farm that will fragment and eliminate sensitive habitat in contravention to your established habitats directives.

It is also important to consider that the world is watching how you approach this proposed development. There is the potential of a negative effect on your local tourism because it relies on the “good word” of world travellers to talk about your area’s rich natural resources and scenic assets.

Gum boidh curam agus miann oirnne a bhith gniomhach ‘n ar la agus ‘n ar linn!

Yours sincerely,

Rory Rickwood
519 Pine Street
Nanaimo, BC V9R 2C6

I have been emailed by quite a few people on bird forum asking me to post a bird only objection text for the isle of skye Windfarm this itotally different to the other one which was standard one

i have attached one for you to look at

Please put name and address and send to john.rennilson 'at' highland.gov.uk

we have until the 12 of june 5pm now because of a bank holiday in the middle

Attachments

• AMECObjectionOrnithologists05June06.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 93
Hi Just to let everybody know we have now until the 10th of July to Object thanks to messed up paperwork by the Highland council.

So please get anybody who has a love of birds to write to the highland council.

And onto SNH and RSPB to let them know that people are watching what they are doing they need to make a stand.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back