• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (3 Viewers)

I can translate any info you want from the Borg page. The main page is here: http://www.tomytec.co.jp/borg/
I've been eyeing these scopes for a while... but just don't have the money right now..
might go with one of these next though. The 77ED is less than $1000 and is 510mm focal length. The photos just look awesome..
Of course if you want the nice focuser and so forth the price goes up.

Photo from this morning of this Blue Tit which has started nest building in our nest box. Should get some nice images later in the year once they start feeding the youngsters.

Canon 450D - 600mm SW80ED - telenegative from Prinzflex 100-200mm lens giving 1.5X mag - ISO800 1/400sec

Paul.

Attachments

• Blue_Tit.jpg
    Blue_Tit.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 220
Detail is very nice - how are you liking the Prinzflex teleneg compared to your favourite Sunagor teleneg ?

Detail is very nice - how are you liking the Prinzflex teleneg compared to your favourite Sunagor teleneg ?

I doubt I would be able to split them on quality even though they are slightly different in design. The Prinzflex is much more common than the Sunagor and the 100-200mm is rebranded under a few different makes besides Prinzflex, Mirage is one that I remember off the top of my head.

Range for the Blue Tit was about 9m, nearly 30 feet.

Paul.

Out with the old 600mm Celestron C80ED and GSO 2X barlow in the marsh this morning. The male Red-winged Blackbirds have returned to stake out territories among the cattails. This one was taken from around 60 feet. The female Eastern Bluebird was around 30 feet. I've been testing various rigs on these birds the past few days and I can't do any better than this even with an old 400mm f/3.5 IF-ED ai manual focus Nikkor (and TC-16A teleconverter) that cost me about three times what I paid for the Celestron refractor and is widely regarded to be a very sharp lens. I have a GH1 on the way and so maybe next weekend will get to test the prime lens and the scope against each other to see what we get.

Rick

Attachments

• rwbb_1517.jpg
    rwbb_1517.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 170
  • eabb_1598.jpg
    eabb_1598.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 216
The blackbird is good, but that bluebird is a stunning catch! lovely light, composition and detail.

Thanks, Cango. The blackbird was farther away and I was forced into shooting over a small pond, which others have suggested may lead to additional disturbances in the atmosphere above the water. I was right on top of the female bluebird and she was posing very still without moving much.

Rick

Anas querquedula

February is usually my photo month. Last Wednesday I had a chance to do some photos of a species that still did hadn't at photographic distances in the digital times. Enclose the one I prefer.

TMB92 + Siebert PMW1-3x + NEX5

Attachments

• querquedula.JPG
    querquedula.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 193
Hi David

I see you are using the Nex5 and Siebert optics mag wheel.

Will you be so kind as to comment on:

1. Is that the "n" with the optional view finder or do you use live view?

2. How do you find the focus peaking when at smaller apertures eg. f/11 or smaller?

3. Your comments on the Siebert optics as compared to the TN's or TC's that the rest of us use.

Great photo btw.

Regards

Jaco

PS: Can you post in the "Setups" section, otherwise we might get scolded.

Hi Jaco,
Answering in a inverse order:
3 - you might be interested in having a look at http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=172196 ;
2 - didn't notice focus peaking function - I have to see if the last update already has it;
1 - I still use the 14mp NEX5, so only use live view. Manual assistance focus function helps a lot.

I enclose the 2 photos taken that day that I like more...;)

Attachments

• clypeata.JPG
    clypeata.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 146
  • clypeata1.JPG
    clypeata1.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 130
Hi guys,
My name is Paolo from Italy
After reading many many many posts about Telescope+DSLR for bird photography I finally purchased a SW80ED to use with my Nikon D300.
I'm very happy with the setup (after the focuser drawtube upgrade). Really unbelievable performances for 2 air-spaced lenses inside an aluminium tube!
Here are some pictures, hope you like them. Only minor Lightroom PP applied.

Thank you all!

Attachments

• 01-4.jpg
    01-4.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 181
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back