• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grasshopper - Kefalonia (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi All,

Anyone got any idea what this (these) are?

Thanks... Ray

Attachments

• DSCF3753s.jpg
    DSCF3753s.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 84
Looks like a Mediterranean Splendid Grasshopper Heteracris littoralis to me!

Shane

Thanks Shane....

Are these the ones that flash pink when they fly? ...If so, we saw quite a few of those.... Plus another, bigger one that flashed a grey/blue, but I didn't get a pic of that one, and we don't have a field guide that covers grasshoppers, so no clue really....

All the best... Ray

Thanks Shane....

Are these the ones that flash pink when they fly? ...If so, we saw quite a few of those.... Plus another, bigger one that flashed a grey/blue, but I didn't get a pic of that one, and we don't have a field guide that covers grasshoppers, so no clue really....

All the best... Ray

Ray
The grasshopper with the blue wings that you often see in Greece
is most usually Oedipoda caerulescens (the second name says it all!).
No English name....Blue-winged Grasshopper might do, though!!
Best
David

Last edited:
Ray
The grasshopper with the blue wings that you often see in Greece
is most usually Oedipoda caerulescens (the second name says it all!).
No English name....Blue-winged Grasshopper might do, though!!
Best
David

Thanks David....

Must confess that finding Kefalonia to be less than exciting with any of my more usual suspects - birds, butterflies and dragonflies - so hence the interest in grasshoppers.... an area about which I know nothing!!

All the best.... Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back