• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (6 Viewers)

Nice sunrise Ed, colours are fantastic...

White-tailed Eagle is a leap from Common Buzzard, perhaps the rest of us can feel less agrieved if tempted to add red spots to woodpeckers crowns in the future;)

All jesting aside though, a lovely drawing thats sits really well in its frame...

Happy new year all. Fresh back from Florida where managed to sneak in some birding/drawing amidst the family fun. Had some wonderful Hooded Merganser encounters in addition to the feeding pack shown, but having just seen Nick D's Goosanders I am too awed to post any further offerings on the sawbill front for a little while..

Attachments

• anhig.jpg
    anhig.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 134
  • b kingf.jpg
    b kingf.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 130
  • hoodeds.jpg
    hoodeds.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 144
  • pelic.jpg
    pelic.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 140
  • slav.jpg
    slav.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 131
Love 'em all, Ed, especially the preening grebe under the dock (wonderful quiet moment of observation). And -- look at all the hoodies! I've had suck a craving for these birds lately, perhaps I can track some down at the waterfront this afternoon. Any plans to paint these up? (They're all ready and waiting!)

Amazing sketches Ed. Group sketches are begging to be painted, though are wonerful as they are. Hooded Mergansers are breathteaking. Lovely Belted Fisher pencil sketches too. Love these...

Kingfisher drawing sheet is a 'belter' !!!!! and the hoodies are begging for it - do it quick and it'll be all the better for it. Superb studies (pelicans are actually my favs) - tremendous.

Happy new year all. Fresh back from Florida where managed to sneak in some birding/drawing amidst the family fun. Had some wonderful Hooded Merganser encounters in addition to the feeding pack shown, but having just seen Nick D's Goosanders I am too awed to post any further offerings on the sawbill front for a little while..

The coloured pencil stuff is very Michael Warren-y, and very good!

Brilliant drawings Ed, particularly the kingfisher sheet. The grebe is all set to work up too. Looking forward to finished pieces and more sketches.

Mike

Hello all- been busy at work which came as a shock, but have had time for daub #3 with the newly acquired bristly brushes.

The victim this time was a rather careful drawing of two Little Auks paddling under Southwold Pier, which in a moment of delusion I had thought I would paint very carefully in watercolour, with the white bits left white etc. etc. and lots detail around the face. Anyway, I caught them looking at me over w/e and attacked them with bristlies as shown instead.

Attachments

• DSC_0949 copy.jpg
    DSC_0949 copy.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 114
  • laukDSC_0956 copy.jpg
    laukDSC_0956 copy.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 123
Wow - now THAT'S a painting!!!!
Looking superb (are we going to get the rest of the bird plumage up to the same contrast and definition as the far bird's back and wings?). This really is heading the right direction for a gallery piece!

Wow - now THAT'S a painting!!!!
Looking superb (are we going to get the rest of the bird plumage up to the same contrast and definition as the far bird's back and wings?). This really is heading the right direction for a gallery piece!

Yup- only far bird's back and wings done thus far. The camera hasn't done it any favours- there's more grey and brown lurking about than would appear. It's quite big too (28" high) so auks are life size or bigger.

Onward..

first time I've seen a photo of a yellow rail that actually resembles a bird, usually they're odd feather dusters hiding in grass. You're not alone in wanting to see one and this photo doesn't sully the thread in any way, definitely a lot of artistic potential in this subject.

ps, re your idea for a sober May, I missed that wagon a long long time ago and I'm too drunk to catch up with it now.

ps, re your idea for a sober May, I missed that wagon a long long time ago and I'm too drunk to catch up with it now.

Whereas I, on the other hand, have just turned over a new leaf and cut my alcoholic intake down to an unhealithily low amount. I virtually never drink any larger before breakfast, any more. Sobriety, twist on!

Whereas I, on the other hand, have just turned over a new leaf and cut my alcoholic intake down to an unhealithily low amount. I virtually never drink any larger before breakfast, any more. Sobriety, twist on!

A week without getting any painting done, but managed to squeeze in some time on the upper aukie yesterday. Finding it hard to resist finnicking about with the detials but hopefully have maintained a sufficiently bristly approach. Now for the lower bird..

Attachments

• DSC_0960.jpg
    DSC_0960.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back