• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Great-billed Heron (1 Viewer)

wuwu1277

Hi,: Request your help on this bird ID, this photo was taken in Singapore last week. Is it a Great-billed Heron? Thank you so much in advance. Regards

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 47
Dear Andy and Seth: Thank you so much. I am also improved on bird IDs, hehe...all due to Bird Forum's help. You guys are great! Regards

Hi, Andy: I see, it is not easy to see a Great-billed Heron in Singapore. It is then must be a great record for Singapore. Very happy, I will check further with other birders in Singapore...Thanks a lot!

Hi, Andy: I see, it is not easy to see a Great-billed Heron in Singapore. It is then must be a great record for Singapore. Very happy, I will check further with other birders in Singapore...Thanks a lot!

It is not an unusual record, there are recommended places to look for them as I recall, but they are easy to miss as there are not many of them.

It is not an unusual record, there are recommended places to look for them as I recall, but they are easy to miss as there are not many of them.

Somebody can check ebird (would if I knew how), I bet there arn't many sightings in Singapore?

Grrrr, hate that site, can see a bar chart but no reports.

Last edited:
Somebody can check ebird (would if I knew how), I bet there arn't many sightings in Singapore?

Grrrr, hate that site, can see a bar chart but no reports.

Reports on ebird of sightings today at Sungei Buloh and Pulau Ubin, with many other pins indicating less recent reports

Somebody can check ebird (would if I knew how)

1. Open the ebird home page; click on the Explore Tab.
2. Click on Species Maps (lower left quadrant of page).
3. Enter the species you want in the Species box, which creates a drop down menu.
4. Tick the "Show points sooner" box on the right, which populates the screen with record pins.
5. Click on pins to see the individual records. You often need to zoom in to see all the pins when there is a concentration of them.

1. Go into explore
2. Type great-billed heron into the explore species option and select
3. Then in top right corner where it says DATA FOR: GLOBAL change the location to Singapore.

There are currently 311 reports of Great-billed Heron on eBird for Singapore.

Thanks guys but not getting most of the options you describe, I guess it's because I'm not a registered user hence, not signed in?

I assumed that anyone could browse with registering.

I think you should be able to do at least what I said. I tried with a computer that I haven't signed in with eBird on, and I was able to access those features. Not sure what your problem is.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back