• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica bird (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please identify this bird? Taken near Hotel Villa Florencia in Costa Rica in January. I'm thinking MacGillivray's Warbler, but definitely not sure.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• _A0A4161.jpg
    _A0A4161.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 34
  • _A0A4162.jpg
    _A0A4162.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 18
  • _A0A4163.jpg
    _A0A4163.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 17
  • _A0A4165.jpg
    _A0A4165.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Nige and Andy. My book has female Mourning Warbler with a narrow, broken eye ring (which fits). MacGillivray's Warbler is definitely rarer.

Thanks Nige and Andy. My book has female Mourning Warbler with a narrow, broken eye ring (which fits). MacGillivray's Warbler is definitely rarer.

I only know because we had faced the same conundum at Ruinas de Ujarras which is the only place we had Mourning.

I am not sure MacG is rare enough to be excluded, there is three observations that are labeled in red indicating something like "within last month"

Niels

I am not sure MacG is rare enough to be excluded, there is three observations that are labeled in red indicating something like "within last month"

Niels

IF reliable and I'll be honest, what I saw in CR being uploaded to ebird, would not fill me with confidence!

I've sent the link to Patrick O'Donnell, he'll have a better idea.

Last edited:
One other point to add here is Sibley's (2014) mention of white throat and supraloral in MacG's, whereas Mourning's throat (and supraloral) is "usually yellow".

t
One other point to add here is Sibley's (2014) mention of white throat and supraloral in MacG's, whereas Mourning's throat (and supraloral) is "usually yellow".
That would clearly seem to favout MacG then only, in the last pic here, the bird has a black, blob on the breast and, I just Googled, a very good number of birde 'labelled' as MacG, do not have a white throat or any hint of a supra loral?

Seems that they hybridise too, oh joy...........

https://www.jstor.org/stable/30243918?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back