• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did you see in your binoculars today? (2 Viewers)

So I'm out filling the feeders at about 17.45, dusk and gloomy, but I hear quite familiar twittering behind the white camelia and high up, either on the sweet chesnut or Scots pine. Bit difficult to see so I go inside, get my 9x63 and look out of the back bedroom window to see...goldfinch about 30' up on the chestnut, at least 10. Then they fly down to the red camelia, a mini flock of at least 20! And mostly vanish inside the impenetrable evergreen foliage. None on the feeders, but a real treat to have them in the back garden.

Today I was really lucky, I got the chance to spend the afternoon with some birders who follow the urban peregrine falcon population in Madrid, so we were able to see some couples already in the brooding period (we got lucky and were there right in time for the moment when they swift turns). It is always amazing to see how such magnificent birds adapt to urban environments and make the skyscrapers and towers their home.

Took the new APM 70mm ED bins to the London Wetland Centre. Getting towards the end of the wildfowl season in the U.K., though still a few hangers on when I went out last week. Very blustery and dull. Most birds were hunkered down, plenty to find with some patience. Lots of shoveler, teal and widgeon. Some great views of some well camouflaged snipe and a redshank. Wide angle 30x really gets you up close and personal with the wildlife, seeing their different personalities. Normally there are peregrine on a nearby tower block, but must have been too windy as none were clvisie today. I didn’t get a lot of use, my son hogged them most of the time. Must bring more spare binoculars next time.

Peter

Today I was really lucky, I got the chance to spend the afternoon with some birders who follow the urban peregrine falcon population in Madrid, so we were able to see some couples already in the brooding period (we got lucky and were there right in time for the moment when they swift turns). It is always amazing to see how such magnificent birds adapt to urban environments and make the skyscrapers and towers their home.

Very nice! Here in London some of the pairs have laid their first eggs of the season, the birds in Spain must be a little ahead. It was very windy today (+20mph most of the day with stronger gusts) and I got to see some exciting flying this morning. Most birds have trouble when the wind is that strong, but not them...

I was wondering if peregrines are regularly seen in Ibiza?

Regards,

P.

Very nice! Here in London some of the pairs have laid their first eggs of the season, the birds in Spain must be a little ahead. It was very windy today (+20mph most of the day with stronger gusts) and I got to see some exciting flying this morning. Most birds have trouble when the wind is that strong, but not them...

Regards,

P.

Rather begrudgingly I had to take students on a trip to Bath in the UK yesterday. Before going I did a quick search for any birdwatching places and St John's church came up in a post online as having a nesting site for peregrines. It was an old post, so I wasn't too hopeful, but I took my Victory Pockets along and slipped away from the students for a look. Initially nothing and thought oh well worth a try and then a bit of racket like sea gulls and a peregrine appeared. It flew off and appeared to join two other birds of prey in the distance (possibly juvenile peregrines or?) and 5 minutes later landed on this spire in the picture. I got my camera out with just a 15-85mm lens and stuck around waiting for it to take flight and grab a couple of pictures. That took longer than expected (about 20 minutes in the cold), but thankfully I was paying attention when eventually it took off. So in the end it was a good trip to Bath. I highly recommend anyone visiting Bath to go along to St john's church and have just seen that they have a live webcam stream of the peregrine nest online here: http://upp.hawkandowl.org/bath-peregrines/bath-st-johns-church-peregrine-live-web-cam-2018/

Attachments

• IMG_8470_cr.JPG
    IMG_8470_cr.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8474_cr.JPG
    IMG_8474_cr.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8475_cr.JPG
    IMG_8475_cr.JPG
    450.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

Yes, it is a common species, I've seen them in one of their favourite spots, on the small islets that are part of the Natural Park "Reserves naturals des Vedrà, es Vedranell I els illots de Ponent", on the West coast of the island. However, by far the most usual hawk is the common kestrel, the Eurasian sparrowhawk is not rare either, and during season the Eleonora Falcon is also easily found because it stays particularly on a few islets within "binocular range" from the coast of Ibiza.

Last edited:
Southern California. Late afternoon yesterday I had just cleaned my binoculars and was checking out the day-lit moon when a sandhill crane glided by, less than 100 feet overhead. Had a quality moment or two viewing before it left my field of view. After a while, saw two more soaring at a higher elevation and considerable distance away.
Moral of the story, clean your binoculars. :)

This morning 3a.m.
Fox owns the street, looks good in binocular.
Street rubbish bin not emptied in three days, so full. Fox got several bags out, maybe some food as he was stretched out on the road. Rather daft I thought as cars are still around at night.
Got a good photo. G15 0.3 sec f/2.8 140mm equivalent. 1600 ISO. Fox looking back over shoulder when stretched out on the road.
One other quite good but walking away not forward. Others blurred due to fox movement.

Although only distance glasses yesterday afternoon as too big for a binocular.
Bright colourful circumzenithal arc at 70 degree elevation. Got good photos.
Knocked on neighbour's door and brought parents and 6 year old daughter out.
They were pleased I did, as it is doubtful they have ever seen this halo before.
The wife pointed out a very bright coloured left sundog. No right side one.
Cirrus 25,000 ft but cloud at 3,600 ft and 6,000ft obscured some phenomena.

Even some lifelong astronomers have not seen this, as one asked what he had seen from Spain.
It is pretty common here, 12 to 20 a year.
The problem is nobody looks up overhead.
Whenever I see suitable cloud conditions I look overhead.
It looks like a rainbow almost overhead.

Sundogs 20 to 30 a year.
Partial 22 degree arcs 15 to 20 times a year. Complete rings rarer, but also around the Moon.
46 degree arcs very rare, 1x year?

I saw a full sky halo display and it was better than any aurora I have seen, and that is hundreds.
It is one of nature's most wondrous events.
Antarctica best for this. Also Nordic countries and maybe Canada?

Yesterday in a general 35mm wide angle shot is a small very streamlined bird, caught unknowingly.
It was flying fast and I think that it is a pigeon.
It looks a bit like a B2 bomber side on.
I took a photo some years ago of an even more streamlined small bird flying fast and that looked even more like a B2.

Today just crows.

B.

Last edited:
On my daitly sunset dog-walk birdwatch I did not spot the stone-curlews today (the neighbour had been picking the oranges, so that probably scared the poor birds). However, I had a nice encounter with a hoopoe. According to locals, they used to be way more common a few decades ago in this part of the Balearic islands, and now they're not a daily sight unfortunately. Anyway, I could enjoy one on the branch of a carob tree. Such a stunning creature; whenever there was a sudden noise, its crest went up... and down again. Nice.
Beyond what could be "seen", these days we have the continuous call of the European greenfinch; as the almond trees have already got their leaves, it is not that easy to spot them as a few weeks ago, but when you do spot one, their colours are so vivid this time of the year, the green is, well... very green :D and the yellow spot on the side is really bright.
On the backyard, a busy blackbird carrying a ton of small branches in the beak for building her nest :)

Attachments

• Mirlo_hojas_nido.jpg
    Mirlo_hojas_nido.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Yesterday in a general 35mm wide angle shot is a small very streamlined bird, caught unknowingly.
It was flying fast and I think that it is a pigeon.
It looks a bit like a B2 bomber side on.
I took a photo some years ago of an even more streamlined small bird flying fast and that looked even more like a B2.

Your comment reminded me of a picture I saw I while ago comparing a B2 and a peregrine falcon. I just googled both terms and found it (attached). One never ceases to be amazed at birds.

Attachments

• B2Peregrine.jpg
    B2Peregrine.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 36
Yesterday a red kite made an appearance which alarmed my pigeons and then a peregrine chased them even higher, before eventually taking one. In the afternoon a robin came into the conservatory and had to be let out through the door, which reminded me that Angela Merckle was reported on TV to have called her cat Brexit, because it could not decide whether to go out or to stay in!

Today a robin, probably a member of the same pair as the one which got caught in the house, posed for ages singing from a branch about 40ft away. There was enough time for me to get out the most used Nikon HGL 8x32, and then also to try Zeiss 8x42 FL as well to inspect the robin, which was instructive.

An excellent view with either but it was obvious that the branches had very sharp outlines with the Zeiss, compared to those which were less so with the Nikon. I concluded that this was due to the CA which had not been noticeable when the Nikon had been used on its own, and that it might explain why the Zeiss is said to offer such 'crystalline' views. Evidently the 8x42 was also brighter but there was little difference in colour to be seen in the red breast.

Song Thrush checking out the ivy on the garage wall for potential nest site, exactly the same way the Robin did a couple of weeks back as I reported here. The Robin looked on all the while the thrush was going about its business.
Also pair of Dunnock going through the motions of courtship before copulating.

No bino needed for this one: a lovely pair of Spotted Towhees thinking about settling into the juniper bushes by my driveway, the female scouting for nesting materials while the male was absorbed with challenging his own reflection in the glass of my car, mainly flitting back and forth from one side mirror to the other where the view must have seemed best. (Any parallels to the human condition purely coincidental.)

Out today with the 10x42 Zeiss SF and my favorite bird today was American Kestrel. It was just stunning with late evening sunlight and the blue steel grays and browns. Definitely one of my favorites.

A few days ago I was standing on an observation tower in Southern Germany freezing in a biting wind that was carrying small lumps of hail and stung my face like buckshot. I was overlooking a small marsh and hoping for a glimpse of the Marsh Harrier I had seen about half an hour earlier although in that wind it felt like it was hours ago. Marsh Tits and Long-tailed Tits provided some distraction but then it happened.

The wind dropped, the sun emerged and a group of 4 small birds dropped out of the sky and landed in the reeds but were perfectly visible so I lifted my binos to take a peek and my jaw nearly hit the deck. They looked just like miniature Red-backed Shrikes and while I gasped an alert to my companion their name swam into my dazed head: Penduline Tits! I have searched for these in Southern France but never found them and my companion was muttering to me how rare they are to be seen on migration like this in Germany.

So a lifer for me and what beautiful birds they are but when the sun hid behind the clouds again they took off in a tight group and headed South-West. What a treat and completely unexpected.

Lee

Lee, lovely encounter and lovely account. :)

Today, while watching a bunch of flamingos and waders (Common sandpiper, Common redshank, plovers) I was complaining to my birdwatching partner how there are few duck/geese species in Ibiza, we barely get mallards and Common shellducks «as standard»... and out of the blue, the first time ever I see a garganey (Anas querquedula). It was already 11 AM, so the sun was relatively high and there was quite a bit of reflections in the water, but their striking plummage, with a thick white stripe across the eye just shone. Never seen them around here, and, for what I read, a pretty rare sight :) I was lucky to had the Nikon E (C) 12x40 and, since I was inside a hide, I had plenty of support, lovely view!

Dog-walk birdwatch at dusk; heading west back home with the orange-pink light of the sunset I cross a field full of Asphodellus aestivus, a plant whose tall flower somehow remembers a asparagus and which always seems to me a bit oneiric. I stop for a second to hear the somewhat metallic call of the Sardinian warbler and the equally somewhat metallic call of the Stonechat, both birds fly restlessly from stalk to stalk. But what catches my eye is what I think for a minute to be a new species, with quite a cryptic plumage. After closer inspection (and after checking google back home) I see that its a juvenile stonechat (the first impression very vaguely reminded me of an accentor). A quick shot through the 7x42 FLs (yes, I know, the stonechat appears pretty small, but you get the feeling ;) )

Attachments

• Cría tarabilla.jpg
    Cría tarabilla.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 54

Users who are viewing this thread

Back