• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hides (1 Viewer)

mary99

Hands up who has a hide of any kind in their garden, what is it made of, where did you get it, would you recommend it.

Mary

Does my shed count lol
I spend most my time in the shed,should be working on the bikes,but end up just sat watching the back garden table and birds
For the fromt garden i just sit in the front room by the window all day long lol

A few years ago, hubby cut a section out of the shed door, then fixed it back on the inside with hinges to make a flap/shelf. There is a piece of camo material hanging down to cover any movement inside the shed. Though we don't use it very often these days, it's been great for photos. Also him/her indoors can supply frequent cuppas!

I have a stealth gear 2 man chair hide see HERE. One of the reasons I got the chair hide was that I can use it on the patio without having to anchor it down. A well made product that is easy the put up/down - the only down side I have found is that it is not fully water proof (not that I leave it out).

I have a camouflage hide as well. Its right out by our shed in the backyard and its great. I laughed when I fell upon this thread. Let's see some more pictures.

They make camouflage popup style blinds that work quite well. They fold into a flat disc and are stored in a bag with backpack straps, very easy to carry (also very lightweight). To set up the blind, you simply take it out of the bag and give it a good toss, by the time it has hit the ground it has fully taken its shape. All you have to do is stake down the four corners. These blinds, which I believe are designed for hunting, are rather tall, so sometimes they can spook the birds a bit, you may have to leave it in place for a while and allow the birds to get used to it. Give one a try if you think it does what you need. Good luck!

So you guys set up a blind in your yard? I usually just spend a lot of time out there so the birds get used to me. I always kinda felt like if I set up a blind, for the sole purpose of watching backyard birds, that the neighbors may label me as "THAT guy". I can remember growing up and there was "the cat lady" and "the pigeon lady". I dunno if I wanna be "that dude that hides in his yard". Hehe

I'm the same really, the birds have mostly got used to me but I have used a dome hide in the garden before when trying to get photos of some of the shyer visitors, although not with much success! I usually either sit in the kitchen doorway with the camera on a tripod, which isn't that comfortable, or on a chair out in the garden. As long as I'm quiet, very measured in my movements and don't stare at the birds they don't mind much. I spend a lot more time watching than photographing these days though.

Wouldn't make much difference if I put up a hide because the neighbours already call me the bird man as the Collared Doves come to feed from my hand.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back