• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull Ages ? (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I would appreciate another opinion on the ages of the following two gulls as a friend disagree's with me on one of them.
I have not mentioned the I/D for those people who want to tell me the I/D and age !
What I will say is that both photos were taken in the UK in March.

Thanks

Attachments

• Gull 1_0576.JPG
    Gull 1_0576.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Gull 2_0578.JPG
    Gull 2_0578.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 92
Hi, the first Herring Gull is a 2nd winter moulting to 2ndsummer and the second is a 3rd winter moulting to 3rd summer.

Thanks guys info much appreciated. Not sure I've heard of the 3cy and 4cy terms used before but I'm afraid that when it comes to Gull plumages I've still a lot to learn !

1cy = 1st calendar year (hatching ->31.12. of that year)
2cy = 2nd calendar year (from 1.01. to 31.12. of the following year), etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back