• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

terrible old photo Id (1 Viewer)

deborah4

I was having a 'clean up' of lots of old pics on computor and found this. It was taken in woodland, January 2006. I remember taking it but can't remember any details: Just remember at the time, I didn't have good views and wasn't sure what I was looking at: Have some idea and think it's probably something very obvious, but 'January' is confusing me as is poor pic quality! It appears to have a black pointed bill.

Attachments

• brown bird.jpg
    brown bird.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 307
Lol! My first thoughts were Dunnock from the bill and body shape and colouring.

If lightened though it appears to have the brown cap of a female Blackcap - but looks a little large for that.

I thought Dunnock too, even juv Robin, but perhaps the tail seemed too deeply notched for Dunnock? I do recall the bird being a lot paler than a Dunnock and having being quite streaky but really no other details with reliability - just didn't get onto iding it immediately - took a quick pic, then of course forgot all about it!

Last edited:
have messed around with it a bit: Now it looks more like a Dunnock! Tail's still quite notched though.

Attachments

• lbj2.JPG
    lbj2.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 191
Hello,

Dunnock, Hedge Accentor or Hedge Sparrow....which one of the three do you think it is????

110% Dunnock! Probably a 1st-year bird too, I detect a bit of reddish brown in the eye colour!!!

Cheers all,

Steve

hi all
i still think its a female blackcap ;) ok its got a white eye ring pic 1, nice brown cap,whiteish throat,

ok i will go with juv female hedgecap :h?:

Last edited:
Thanks for your help all: I'm happy with it being a first winter Dunnock now Ive lightened up the pic and increased the saturation slightly - if I recall at the time, it was a young bird I saw briefly (a 'juv/1w') so may well have thrown me in making a fast response Id and had poor/brief views too.

Although Dunnock was my first impression, can someone say how we conclusively rule out Blackcap? What about the notched tail?

Thanks,
Graham

bitterntwisted said:
Although Dunnock was my first impression, can someone say how we conclusively rule out Blackcap? What about the notched tail?

Thanks,
Graham
Brown streaked rear flanks/undertail coverts and belly, can also see wings are brown.
Brown ear coverts
Dark (not pale) grey neck and breast.

If it was a Blackcap it would look nothing like this, it would be grey-white all over its body, head and wings, all one colour, and it probably wouldn't be sat like this either!

deborah4 said:
if I recall at the time, it was a young bird I saw briefly (a 'juv/1w')
If it was January, and you weren't sure what species it was, how did you know it was a young bird?!

Incidentally, I'm in agreement that it's a Dunnock.

If you want help identifying adult Dunnocks or many of our other adult common UK woodland birds in the field David, feel free to PM me, they're pretty distinctive and can easily be Id'd on fast jizz ;) . With youngsters, closer views are often required - especially if the bill shape was only captured in that moment by a camera and not looked at until 12 months later!

At the time, I just clocked it very briefly in passing as a streaky brown bird, so just had time to take a pic. I didn't actually observe properly in the field (IMO Bad practice and something I rarely do is take a pic before Iding a bird, this thread proves why it's bad practice!) I did jizz it enough at the time to rule out adult plumage of more easily identifiable and common adult plumages as mentioned and meant to look at the pic later. Forgot all about it, and only just found the picture again.

Thanks for your help everyone - as I said, the pic is poor, so is my memory, but I'm happy to leave it as a 1w Dunnock

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back