• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hertfordshire/Middlesex/Bedfordshire Birding (1 Viewer)

Mungo

I couldn't find anything on Hertfordshire/ Middlesex / Bedfordshire areas.

Thought I would ask if there are any birders and where you go. Being new to birding I'm looking to learn from you guys and get out there a little more.

Cheers

hi, i live in hertfordshire, we often go to rye meads rspb reserve, and amwell nature reserve, i walk with my dog everyday, my local patch is furzefield woods in potters bar.
today at ryemeads we saw,
grey heron
5 green sandpipers,
small flock longtailed tits,
greywagtail,
mute swans,
teal,
coots
snipe,
moorhens
shovelers,
cormorant

rain stopped play.

last week had really good view of kingfisher,
and water rail as well.

RB Flycatcher at Leagrave, Beds

Hi,
Does anyone have directions for the RBF showing well today near Luton (according to Bguides). I have seen two locations - TL06 0247 and TL05 9247, which appear to be different ends of the same wooded area, any information would be appreciated.

It looks like its near the M1, and I may be passing tomorrow, which would make a pleasant stop (better than Toddington services anyway!).

Try this, copied and pasted from a UK400 club email:-

The first authenticated RED-BREASTED FLYCATCHER for Bedfordshire remains for
a third day, showing well in Rotten Corner Coppice (at TL 060 247) at
Leagrave Marsh in North Luton. The bird, a first-winter, was discovered by Jon
Palmer an hour before dark on Sunday afternoon, feeding from the same line of
tall trees in which it still remains today.

DETAILED DIRECTIONS: From Leagrave Railway Station and the main Marsh Farm
to Lewsey Farm road, take Sundon Park Road north on the east side of the
railway and park on the right after 400 yards. Walk to your right then follow the
brook for about 130 yards to where the two tributaries meet. The bird favours
the tall trees in the small wood opposite and can be frequently seen darting
out for insects over the river. It is also very vocal.
(JohnP: Ex of Potters Bar)

yahoo groups

Thought I would ask if there are any birders

Mungo Hi, used to live and bird there alot until I moved out here (Spain), I recommend you join the Herts and Beds yahoo groups. Can't remember the address offhand but search yahoogroups.com or yahoo.com/groups or something. Let me know if you have no luck and I'll look it up.

All the best

Hi Mungo,

I'm based in northwood, so on the fringes of Herts. My local patch is Stockers Lake near rickmanswqorth, whch is worth a visit at any time of the yearm though winter is particularly good with smew turning up most winters as well as goosander and god numbers of goldeneye.

Tring Reservoirs are well worth a visit, particularly the hide at Wilstone Reservoir.

Little Marlow Gravel Pit generally has a good cross section of birds

Amwell is very good, especially with all the new hides there.

I also had a great view of 4-5 short eared owls, a single tawny owl and a hen harrier from a lay-by on the ~A41 just outside Aylesbury recently. Think they are still viewable at dusk most evenings. Let me know if you'd like directions.

Sean

Thought I would ask if there are any birders and where you go. Being new to birding I'm looking to learn from you guys and get out there a little more.

Cheers

The Herts Bird Club Website at http://www.hertsbirdclub.org.uk has much useful information including recent sightings. A new improved bird club website is in preparation and should be more up to date early in the new year.

County bird reports are a good source of information as to what species and where they are to be found, and the latest Herts one has a gazetteer with all main county birding sites from which records are sent to the county recorder.

There is also a London birders yahoo group as well which can be viewed without joining.

In order to make more specific recomendations it would be helpful to know where roughly you live.

Joan

Lemsford Springs is good for green sandpipers, snipe, little egrets and kingfisher. Mandarin bred there this year also and i got photos of the osprey that stayed for a week.
Amwell is good was there today saw smew, goldeneye, 5 water rails, reed buntings, 12+snipe, scaup.
Thanks,
Luke

i posted this on another thread but thought i would put it here as well , i was walking my dog this morning in furzefield woods potters bar, and as we walked down to the stream a little egret flew up, a first for this location to my knowledge and i walk there most days. i also had a reed bunting on my patio on saturday which was a bit of a surprise to say the least.

Thanks for all your replies.

I had forgotten I posted this.

I have been out birding, joined Herts Birding and visited some of the reserves in my area.
My most memorable sighting to date is the 17 Little Egrets coming into roost at my local lake a couple of weeks back :t:

Cheers everyone!

has anyone seen the buzzard perched on fence by the side of the a1 just after the knebworth turn off. he,s been there for weeks now some times he,s on the fence on the opposite carriageway. good views ( if your not the driver)...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back