• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

World Record catch? (1 Viewer)

Julian Bell

Natural Born Birder
I recently took a picture of a Sandwich Tern with at least 10 sandeels in its beak. According to BWP the maximum recorded is four so this would seem to be a new record.

Pictures can be seen here.

Incidentally, the picture was taken completely randomly - I was actually down on the shore with my children and the tern just happened to fly past within range. It seems odd that if this catch is indeed a new record for this species that it required so little effort to document - one would expect to have to sit for hours at a tern colony watching parents bringing back their catches.

How on earth the tern managed to hold onto so many fish whilst catching more beats me!

Doing a little reading in BWP produced an amazing record - a Puffin has been recorded with a massive 61 sandeels and 1 3 bearded rockling. Incredible.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back