• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

celestron regal 65ED vs vortex viper 65HD (1 Viewer)

mblank

Hi,

can anybody advice me which scope is more suitable for birding?
I cannot find a direct comparison.

Regards,
Mariusz

I'm actually choosing between same models:
Celestron M2 65mm -- accepts 1.25" eyepieces, the cheapest, smallest FoV, lightweight
Vortex Viper HD 65mm - ?? any features?
Athlon Ares 65mm -- has widest FoV, lightest
Pentax PF-65ED -- accepts standard 1.25" eyepieces

What about a used Nikon ED50 or ED III?
Few months ago i bought a ED50 and am very, very satisfied with it.
Compact, light and sharp! Every day when i go birdwatching i have it with me in my backpack.

Unfortunately i did not try any of named celestron, vortex, athlon pentax scopes (@mblank @dae33)

I made the international order for Athlon Ares at OpticsPlanet a week ago.
Some days later my order was cancelled with the explanation, that USA dealers should not sell internationally. :(

Then i had an opportunity to make a quick test of Celestron Regal 80f-ed. It was quite nice, but looked too dim to me.
To be honest, i should mention, that Zeiss DiaScope 65 looked a little dim and warm for my taste as well.
I also had a quick look through Pentax 65ed of a local birder. Which suited me well.

So i went with Pentax pf-65ed, which bought second hand. Pentax is very good spotting scope, better than Regal. I recommend it.
The only issue is that i need to find a suitable zoom eyepiece now.

Last edited:
You made a good choice with the Pentax, I have PF65ED and it's bigger brother the PF80ED.
I think the only top quality zoom that would work, would be the latest Baader Zoom. I have the earlier one and it just falls short to focus at infinity. Personally I would get three fixed eyepieces, around the 20x 30x 40x mark.You can swap them out that quick, it's nearly as fast as zooming. You have load of fixed EPs to choose from. If your not bothered about waterproofing the BST explorer are an excellent inexpensive choice. The 15mm works an absolute treat and would give you 26x a 12mm Pentax XF is an excellent choice for 32x and it's waterproof.

You really are spoiled for choice when it comes fixed EPs for the Pentax.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back