• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest and best digiscoping camera? to hand hold!! (1 Viewer)

midlandsbirder

Hi everyone, can anyone sugest a camera for digiscoping, (to reolace my Nikon 4500) and adapter, on a Swarovski ats 65 that I can hand hold and get decent results? perhaps I am asking too much, but I get fed up with lugging around an adapter /cable release combo , it has to be carried in a shoulder bag with spare. It would be great to just have a small camera in my pocket I could just take out and hold against the lense. The photography seems to be getting in the way of the birding, and I am faffing around too much with equipement, and missing the birds too often!
thanks

midlandsbirder said:
Hi everyone, can anyone sugest a camera for digiscoping, (to reolace my Nikon 4500) and adapter, on a Swarovski ats 65 that I can hand hold and get decent results? perhaps I am asking too much, but I get fed up with lugging around an adapter /cable release combo , it has to be carried in a shoulder bag with spare. It would be great to just have a small camera in my pocket I could just take out and hold against the lense. The photography seems to be getting in the way of the birding, and I am faffing around too much with equipement, and missing the birds too often!
thanks
Hi MB,
I used to think the same way with all that bulk in my pockets or bag,so I made this rig,everything is attached even the powerpack velcroed to the tripod leg, just move the camera to watch and viceversa to photograph ,no bulk and empty pockets-just an idea!

Attachments

• Picture 112.jpg
    Picture 112.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 299
  • Picture 111.jpg
    Picture 111.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 221
midlandsbirder said:
thanks
Hi MidlandsBirder!
I felt exactly the same as you are now - and I was already using a small camera! I use the Fuji F11 which you can literally slip in a shirt pocket. Instead of a fixed universal adaptor with a cable release and bracket, I now use a slip on adaptor made from a bottle top which acts as a centralising gadget, and hand hold my F11 in it. The result is I now spend more time actually viewing the birds through the scope (and therefore getting more detailed observations) than watching the screen. With the F11 and it's brilliant noise characteristics I can use high shutter speeds which compensate for any movement my hands may impart. As a consequence - welcome back to birding!!
Good birding now that you've freed yourself from all that weight carrying!
Timedrifter

Hello Timedrifter,

Can you post any of your Fuji F11 shots? I'm thinking of going with that camera and would be interested in any further thoughts you have about it.

Thanks,

Sean

Timedrifter said:
Hi MidlandsBirder!
I felt exactly the same as you are now - and I was already using a small camera! I use the Fuji F11 which you can literally slip in a shirt pocket. Instead of a fixed universal adaptor with a cable release and bracket, I now use a slip on adaptor made from a bottle top which acts as a centralising gadget, and hand hold my F11 in it. The result is I now spend more time actually viewing the birds through the scope (and therefore getting more detailed observations) than watching the screen. With the F11 and it's brilliant noise characteristics I can use high shutter speeds which compensate for any movement my hands may impart. As a consequence - welcome back to birding!!
Good birding now that you've freed yourself from all that weight carrying!
Timedrifter

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back