• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sheepwash urban park (1 Viewer)

Hi Mark and Hughie, yes the Arctic Skua was certainly a case of being in the right place at the right time, and a bonus of the 3 Whoopers as well, certainly a good local day, ive been down for 4 hours today but haven't seen anything of note

Killer Crows

Hiya sheepwashers & a warm welcome to all. Yesterdays visit during the dry spell;) 4 30 till 5 30 I watched 4 Crows & 2 Maggies that appeared to be mobbing a B H Gull not until the Gull landed on the rocks did I notice what stirred this attack, the gull was bleeding what caused the injury is a mystery but I would not rule out air rifle only 1 Crow persisted in the attack but the Gull was strong enough to fly to adjacent rocks a fend off the attack & took refuge among other Gullso:D. Birds of note including today were Peregrine, Sprawk & Buzzard. 4 Shoveler 8 Pochard 6 Teal & at least 9 Little Grebe, Cormorant. 9 Redwings, Green & G S Woodie, Jay Kingfisher a ca flock of 12 Linnets 3 Bullfinch & Grey Wag. Cheers & Happy BirdingB :).

A Call To Arms

Hiya sheepwashers & a warm welcome to all. Tuesday morning saw the Peregrines on Robinsons chimney stack once the mist had lifted. A pair of Buzzards endured the wrath of Crows as the call to arms saw them arriving from all directions to see them off:eek!: another attack saw Coots ganging up on a Moorhen who more than held his own. A Jackdaw as associated with the Crows the last two days this species breeds only a few hundred yards away but is seldom seen on the wash unlike the more elusive Jay. Duck numbers continue to go up & down or playing hide & seek Pochard up to 9 Teal a steady 6 & Shoveler peaked at 5. Other birds of note several flocks of Redwing ranging from 5, 13 & 20, Sprawk, Kingfisher, Cormorant, G S Woodie Little Grebes can be seen all over the pool 9 would be a conservative number. Today I observed the Gulls again almost landing on the same tree top as they did in the summer, then I thought it was to feed on insects this time of year I am not so sure but all explanations are welcome:t:. Cheers & Happy BirdingB :)

I did visit SUP yesterday but saw very little and got drenched in the heavy downpours. I noticed that British Rail have extended the ugly iron fencing onto the park and have fenced off the Long-eared Owl roosting site by Rose Lane Pool, I wonder if this was done with the permission of the council and are they going to extend it around Rose Lane copse?
I also intended to visit the Rattlechain tip but the rain put me off.
Geoff

The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Hiya sheepwashers & a warm welcome to all. The good was a party of fly over Siskins reported by Dave W & the Peregrine perched at Robinsons around 9 30. Yesterdays weather was bad & the fact it brought nothing down was worse:-C. As Tipton Geoff as said ( I prefer to call him the Middle Man these days;)) a ugly metal fence as gone up around a small section in the Rose Lane area making it nigh impossible to see Water Rail in a little pool to which they have favoured for many years:C. The usual sightings today were Shoveler, Pochard Teal, Sprawk, Kingfisher & Jay. Dave W as been under the weather recently so I hope he as a speedy recovery besides the monthly total needs him:t: I hope to get over to the Rattlechain Tip on Saturday & would love to hear the Middle Mans views on the new look A/W pool:smoke:. Cheers & Happy BirdingB :).

The Joys Of Urban Birding

Hiya sheepwashers & a warm welcome to all. The last few days have not been all that productive bird wise & the weather or birding time spent in the field as not helped the monthly list:-C. A ca flock of 50 Redwing Friday night flying over lifted a little gloom. Yesterday a walk over to the Rattlechain tip produced 15 Linnet that were still present today & a hen Pheasant some may think not a special bird in the great scheme of things but its only my second record here ( Geoff & Dave W have had many more sightings) so always good to get on the yearly list;). Other birds of note Peregrine, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, 9 Pochard, 2 Shoveler, 3 Teal, Cormorant, G S Woodie, Green Woodie, Kingfisher, Greywag, Piedwag, & 6 large thrushes flying over the school most probably Mistle I will have to wait for positive ID of Fieldfare;) so that's the joys of urban birding:smoke:. Cheers & Happy BirdingB :).

Popped in for an hour ystda at about 1230, sat on your favourtite rocky seat (you really must take your beer cans home;)) - very quiet just a quick stroll around the pools nothing of note.......

Laurie:t:

European Identification Confirmed

Hiya sheepwashers & a warm welcome to all specially you Jad you fledgling twitcher;). Not a lot of change at the wash the last few days but with the weather brightening up a bit of vis mig was apparent today. 15 Jackdaws flew over the works at 10 & Dave Waite had already text me to report Fieldfare going over & I observed ca 16 going to roost behind the school tonight, a ca flock of 100 starlings flew over the wash at lunch time. A retired sales rep popped into see me Wednesday & informed me he followed this forum, knowing I had a interest in birds he inquired about Sandwell Valley so I pointed him in the right direction towards Sheepwash ( well it is close to the works) I pointed out the birds he identified the Polish beer cans:t:.. Other birds of note the last few days include Jay, Kingfisher, G S & Green Woodies, 4 Teal, 3 Shoveler. 12 Pochard, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, 3 Cormorant several small flocks of Redwing the max being ca 40 & the Peregrine roosted at Robinsons tonight. Cheers & Happy BirdingB :).

Storm In A Tea Cup

Hiya sheepwashers & a warm welcome to all. Ive not been very productive of late on this forum due to nothing new at the wash:-C & the storm never penetrated the West Mids for any of us to get excited. Dave Waite is still not fit enough to roam the park as yet but he did txt to tell me what was in the area today. 1 fly over Raven, ca 300 Redwing, 12 Siskin & 2 Skylark. Cheers Dave & I wish you a speedy recovery. My day bird wise started with 15 Fieldfare that seemed to be being tracked by 2 Peregrines & at lunch both had small prey on the pylon being harassed by Magpies. 11 Goosanders were the first this Autumn 9 being redheads. 3 Cormorants on php & I have seen 1 on the new Albright & Wilson pool. New on the October list were Coal Tit & Goldcrest, other birds of note the last few days are a magic number of 4 Teal, 5 Shoveler, Little Grebe & Pochard are just about in double figures. Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kingfisher, Green & G S Woodies, Jay, Bullfinch & several Greywags in the area. Cheers & Happy BirdingB :).

Head On The Block Again

Hiya sheepwashers & a warm welcome to all. 2 Gadwall were new to php & the first record of this Autumn. Now to stick my head on the block again:eek!:. A finch type species landed in a tree between the north pool & php I was expecting Siskin or Redpoll it was neither. It only called briefly but I was more interested in its breast markings, yellow & black streaks on white & all white towards the bottom. Head wings & back uniformly brown with dark streaks similar to Dunnock. It showed a slight yellow eye stripe, neat little greyish bill & legs. Then it took flight to reveal a yellow rump. After intense research & thumbing through my field guides & PC I can only conclude it was a unseasonal Serin type bird, I would appreciate your views & thoughts. Cheers & Happy BirdingB :).

Hiya Laurie it did call but very briefly. It was small but it was not associating with anything but I have yet to see Siskin or Redpoll feeding at the wash as yet. It seemed wild enough & had no rings. After a brief conversation with Dave Waite he informed me of Serin sightings in October ( not at the wash may I add ) but who knows with the recent weather.

The calls of European Serin are diagnostic and should not really cause too much confusion, they can be found here.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Serinus-serinus

Hiya Laurie it did call but very briefly. It was small but it was not associating with anything but I have yet to see Siskin or Redpoll feeding at the wash as yet. It seemed wild enough & had no rings. After a brief conversation with Dave Waite he informed me of Serin sightings in October ( not at the wash may I add ) but who knows with the recent weather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back