• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Egret sp Cyprus (1 Viewer)

SJC

Seen yesterday in swampy habitat. Size was same as the Little Egrets nearby but tended not to associate much with them. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Egret 2b.jpg
    Egret 2b.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 325
  • Egret 3b.jpg
    Egret 3b.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Egret 4b.jpg
    Egret 4b.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 240
First thought: Intermediate Egret (Great is ruled out by the gular stripe which doesn't extend behind the eye).
Second Thought: Cattle Egret, but jiz not right...
Possible Third Thought: Lecustic individual of third species...

I'll let the experts decide on this one.

Cheers!

Dimitris

Thanks Demetris,

I think Cattle Egret and Great Egret can be safely ruled out on size and structure alone. I was thinking about the possibility that it's a Western Reef Heron. The culmen is curved, legs are greenish and wingtips show some dark which seem to fit with this species. On the other hand to me the bill looks a bit too chunky for a Reef Heron and the habitat is very unusual.

Hello SJC,

Despite living in Oz I have limited experience with Intermediate Egret, that's why I don't want to comment more extensively on the bird (as far as I remember Intermediates have more yellow/orange bills then this bird (pinkish/yellow). I agree that it looks 'wrong' for the more common species and I have no experience with Western Reef Heron...

Cheers!

Dimitris

Why isn't it a great egret (size in the field can be deceptive) long dark trailing legs in flight and heavy pale bill,

Why isn't it a great egret (size in the field can be deceptive) long dark trailing legs in flight and heavy pale bill,

The size of the bird was compared directly with nearby Little Egrets by the sounds of it, and there's a big and normally obvious size difference between Little and Great Egrets when they're near to each other. Otherwise, to me it doesn't seem the right sort of shape for a Great Egret, although admittedly that's a hard thing to put into words.

I agree with the bill looking very short and thick for a Western Reef Egret. Still, it's the closest species I can think of. It is very strange.

I saw it again today, it's slightly shorter than a little egret but is chunkier with a thicker neck. It's not anything like a Grey Heron or Great Egret in size so those two can be excluded. On the other hand the structure does not look like a Little Egret. I have thought of the possibility of a hybrid but what 2birds would have such an offspring and why the black on the wings and the greenish legs?

And this is why it's neither a Grey Heron or a Great Egret!

Attachments

• Egret 6.jpg
    Egret 6.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 229
I'm pleased to see everyone floundering as much as I was when I saw this earlier.

Could it simply be a Litte Egret with some form of schizochroism? (say a lack of yellow pigment?) The bill shape, gape, nostril, and general structure and jizz don't look bad once one allows for the size illusion created by pale vs. dark bare parts?

Otherwise, haven't a clue. Doesn't fit anything in any of my books.

Graham

I think the body structure and bill shape/size is wrong for Little Egret. Bill also looks wrong for Intermediate as does the fact that it's too small.

It has got to be a variant Little Egret.

Build, juzz and strucutre all rule out Western Reef, Intermediate, Cattle, Little Blue Heron etc.....

Interesting bird, though!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back