• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Query Slimbridge Escapee (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
I've seen a couple of these birds in the wild areas of Slimbridge for several weeks and I assume they have escaped from the collection.
I'm not quite sure why but I had assumed they were Swan Geese - but they are not quite the same as the Opus picture of a Swan Goose.
Any ideas please?
Alan

Attachments

• _Goose_Slim_20Oct08.JPG
    _Goose_Slim_20Oct08.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 64
When i was up slimbridge last monday there was a feral bar headed goose in the canada flock, there was also a strange hybrid bar headed something.

When i was up slimbridge last monday there was a feral bar headed goose in the canada flock, there was also a strange hybrid bar headed something.

Hi Luke,
Yes, the Bar-headed is probably the one that Alan has referred to. Both of these geese have been hanging around with the Canada flock for some time and I seem to remember a Bar-headed last winter so it may be a bird which winters with the Canadas.

These birds have been around at Slimbridge for about six months so thay are certainly living in he wild.
Alan

I've seen a couple of these birds in the wild areas of Slimbridge for several weeks and I assume they have escaped from the collection.
I'm not quite sure why but I had assumed they were Swan Geese - but they are not quite the same as the Opus picture of a Swan Goose.
Any ideas please?
Alan

Hi guys,
this goose is a hybrid between Bar-headed Goose and Snow Goose, see the fethers on the back and on the side.
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• Bar-headed Goose.jpg
    Bar-headed Goose.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 59
Me too, can't see a reason to suggest anything other than a Bar-headed here?

Hi guys,
it's absolutely sure a hybrid between Bar-headed and Snow Goose unfortunately. See the black and white fethers on the back and the stronger bill.
Cheers
Peter.

Attachments

• _Goose_Slim_20Oct08.JPG
    _Goose_Slim_20Oct08.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 108
  • Bar-headed Goose.jpg
    Bar-headed Goose.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Blue Snow Goose.jpg
    Blue Snow Goose.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 36
I still think that it is a Bar-headed. I have actually seen the bird in the field and discussed it with others in the hide who also agree that it is a Bar-headed. There is another white goose present but all agree that this is a hybrid.

Hi guys,
it's absolutely sure a hybrid between Bar-headed and Snow Goose unfortunately. See the black and white fethers on the back and the stronger bill.
Cheers
Peter.

Ah ha! Now I see what's going on. My comment was based on the photo you posted Peter, which is certainly a pure Bar-headed Goose, but I see that's not the bird you were commenting on, rather the OP's bird.

Crossed-wires, then... I hope you don't disagree that the photo you posted is a pure Bar-headed!

BT

Ah ha! Now I see what's going on. My comment was based on the photo you posted Peter, which is certainly a pure Bar-headed Goose, but I see that's not the bird you were commenting on, rather the OP's bird.

Crossed-wires, then... I hope you don't disagree that the photo you posted is a pure Bar-headed!

BT

Ditto

I agree with Peterarras that the goose posted initially is a hybrid Barheaded x Snow goose , look at the mainly white flanks, the tertials, the distribution of dark on the beak- all are in line with this hybrid combination-
though i have to admit most hybrid birds of this combination do not express such a clear Barheaded Goose head pattern

well, these two are actually showing a barheaded x snow goose hybrid.

Mine i found in the photoindex of the website of the Gloster birder.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back