• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Yellowlegs / Lesser Yellowlegs (1 Viewer)

Dave S

Corporate Lacky
I've never been able to distinguish the two. I think the problem has been that I've seen mostly greater yellowlegs and very few if any lessers. Today I think I got a picture of a lesser with a greater (the greater isn't in the best focus, but he's about 30% bigger than the lesser). Am I correct on this one?

Attachments

• 2006-01-24-1400-5473-800.JPG
    2006-01-24-1400-5473-800.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 227
I would agree with your instinct that you have a greater and lesser. A field mark I use is the bill length and slight upcurve of the greater compared to the lesser. Of course you do have to get a good look at them. Nice photo though!

This nice photo highlights another field mark: the essentially bi-colored bill of the Greater Yellowlegs. The basal third of its length is gray while the rest of the bill is blackish.

Hi Dave,

I usually used the bill lenght to distinguish between this two. If the bill is larger than the head length so it is a Greater and if the bill lenght is almost the same as the head length so it is a Lesser. The only thing as AKestrel3 mention is that you need to get a really good view of the bird by the side to get the real perspective of the bill/head leght.

If this picture as you mention the on on the front is a lesser and the one on the back is a greater.

Alejandro

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back